Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LED headlight upgrade options

Old 01-26-2015, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED headlight upgrade options

I'm interested in upgrading my headlights (and foglights) on my 12' JK. New housings are out of my budget and was wondering if anyone had any experience with simply replacing the stock halogen bulbs with an led upgrade similar to those listed in my ebay link below.
Will these require an antiflicker harness?
Anyone with personal experience of these or similar I'd love to hear from you
Genssi? H13 Bi Xenon HID Upgrade Bixenon LED Conversion Kit Low High Beam | eBay
Thanks,
~~~Tony~~~
Old 01-26-2015, 11:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've honestly never seen one of those stand alone LED units last for very long. I'd hold on to the money and invest in one of the better complete LED headlamps or HIDs
Old 01-26-2015, 03:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have to agree. If you don't like the idea of spending $400 or more on Trucklites or one of the other options, go with a good H4 housing instead. I had Cibié E-code housings on my TJ and they were excellent.

My thinking is that if those H13 replacements were any good at all, you'd see the bigger brands offering their take on the technology too. So far, nobody respectable offers anything like that. For not much more, you can have a very well proven H4 swap. On the other hand, Trucklites and JW Speaker are fairly well established in the industrial world, with KC now offering an option as well. There's even a picture of a light that looks very similar to the KC kit sporting a Mopar logo floating around...

Last edited by neZZr; 01-26-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:42 AM
JK Newbie

Went that route. Big PITA. Saved my $$ and bought the Petersons. Now I'm happy
Old 01-27-2015, 05:11 AM
JK Newbie

OK, thanks fellas. Good to hear from those with personal experience.
Any links to a good H4 swap?
I'm new at this and have no idea what's good and what's snake oil
Old 01-27-2015, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

The problem with our headlights isn't that the bulbs aren't bright enough, it's that the housing sucks. Just putting brighter bulbs in it is just going to make the light go every where except where you want it. The best bet is to save up, or do the cibe conversion. Personally, I'm going to get Trucklites when my tax return comes in.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Speed Shop Tony
OK, thanks fellas. Good to hear from those with personal experience. Any links to a good H4 swap? I'm new at this and have no idea what's good and what's snake oil
Heres a good recent comparison article. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/usmcdoc/lights/index.php

I can't say that I totally agree with his opinion that JW Speaker has better output than the HID kit... but his pictures are very useful. He liked the Delta kit, but the IPF's are well respected by the TJ crowd too. Either would be a solid upgrade from stock, and can be found easily online at places like Amazon, Quadratec, etc.

I personally had great luck with the Cibié E-code housings as I mentioned, purchased from Daniel Stern. I have Trucklite's in my Jk now, but I'll reserve my own judgement on them until I get the horizontal aim sorted out. From the factory, the lights are aimed very cross-eyed.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Wow, great article with lots of good information. Guess I'll be saving up for a set of real led headlights
Old 02-01-2015, 07:34 AM
JK Freak

Here's mine that I got from offroad additions. Really happy with them

Old 02-02-2015, 08:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JAM85
Here's mine that I got from offroad additions. Really happy with them
Can you post night time photos that closely represent what you see? The output photos I've seen don't seem to be very impressive. Could just be the pictures.

Quick Reply: LED headlight upgrade options