Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LED light bar for inside mounting...?

Old 11-29-2012, 04:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jk bobby
Ever plan on spot welding the 8 torx bolts ( 4 on each side) that mount onto the A and B pillars where the light bar mounts? I plan on doing that eventually so if the thieves wanted the light bar, they would have to grind off the welds. It will take them longer to steal and most likely draw attention preventing them from removing the light bar. If you ever need to remove the light bar, you would have to grind them also but I think that its a good idea to prevent theft. Great way to preserve your investment.
+1 not a bad idea either
Old 11-29-2012, 05:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

mounting it on the inside, a massive no no. 1. glare would be horrible, 2. you need airflow to keep those buggers cool. they would not last any time without cooling.!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kojack
mounting it on the inside, a massive no no. 1. glare would be horrible, 2. you need airflow to keep those buggers cool. they would not last any time without cooling.!
If this is made right, heat will not be an issue. I have been developing electronics for a few years, and LED's (depending on how powerful they are), are not very hot. You will not be able to have EXTREME power inside the windshield, but most light bars can handle this.
Imagine parking in a hot desert, with no wind. OR in a small garage. You can still use every light on your Jeep as long as you want, without overheating them (That is of course if you have not installed anything extreme that requires air flow to keep cool...).
And there are ways to decrease heat development in the LED housing without using fans.

I contacted my suppliers in China, and they are looking into it. I might have them make me a prototype, to check how it works.
And there is room in the Jeep for this. I am 6' tall, and sitting in the front seat, a 1 1/4" inch thick light bar will not make a difference to my view of the road. There is plenty of room for 2 x 12-15 inch light bars, with a single row LED's. And they can be easily bolted straight on.

Spot's will not give much glare, but flood's will, unless the LED's can be retracted a little bit into the housing.

To me, this would be the perfect solution. But for others, it would make no sense..
Old 11-29-2012, 12:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GoRemote
If this is made right, heat will not be an issue. I have been developing electronics for a few years, and LED's (depending on how powerful they are), are not very hot. You will not be able to have EXTREME power inside the windshield, but most light bars can handle this.
Imagine parking in a hot desert, with no wind. OR in a small garage. You can still use every light on your Jeep as long as you want, without overheating them (That is of course if you have not installed anything extreme that requires air flow to keep cool...).
And there are ways to decrease heat development in the LED housing without using fans.

I contacted my suppliers in China, and they are looking into it. I might have them make me a prototype, to check how it works.
And there is room in the Jeep for this. I am 6' tall, and sitting in the front seat, a 1 1/4" inch thick light bar will not make a difference to my view of the road. There is plenty of room for 2 x 12-15 inch light bars, with a single row LED's. And they can be easily bolted straight on.

Spot's will not give much glare, but flood's will, unless the LED's can be retracted a little bit into the housing.

To me, this would be the perfect solution. But for others, it would make no sense..
heat could be an issue, if the light is used for any extended periods of time it will get warm. I know they don't get as hot as other types of lights but the housings still get warm. Just because it works in extremely hot desert type conditions doesn't necessarily mean that you want a heated light bar across the top of your windshield. I have various led light fixtures from ones on my jeep to fish tank lights and they all vary in running temps. I have some that warm up enough that you can't touch them without a cool off period. I think some testing should be done before just assuming that they won't create too much heat inside the vehicle.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IRubicon
heat could be an issue, if the light is used for any extended periods of time it will get warm. I know they don't get as hot as other types of lights but the housings still get warm. Just because it works in extremely hot desert type conditions doesn't necessarily mean that you want a heated light bar across the top of your windshield. I have various led light fixtures from ones on my jeep to fish tank lights and they all vary in running temps. I have some that warm up enough that you can't touch them without a cool off period. I think some testing should be done before just assuming that they won't create too much heat inside the vehicle.
I totally agree. My suppliers will work on this, and I will test a couple of units before I make a bigger order. I am not saying heat will never be an issue, but I think it's a good chance that this might work, as long as the effect of the LED's are kept to an moderate level. At least I will find out.
If you ever see a bald guy driving a black JKUR in SoCal with fire damage to the freedom panels, you will know that the prototypes did not work as planned...
Old 11-29-2012, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Heat might also be an issue in cold climes if it propagated cracks, chips etc in the windshield.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Winterwheeler
Heat might also be an issue in cold climes if it propagated cracks, chips etc in the windshield.
very good point +1 and GoRemote that sounds like a great plan, and hopefully we don't see you driving around with a burnt freedom top lol.

But please do keep us updated on how the testing turns out
Old 11-30-2012, 05:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

IM talking about more along the lines of the light itself failing due to heat....as it has cooling fins for wind cooling....which works no matter what the climate...
Old 11-30-2012, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IRubicon
very good point +1 and GoRemote that sounds like a great plan, and hopefully we don't see you driving around with a burnt freedom top lol.

But please do keep us updated on how the testing turns out
I have spent the last 24 hours with my Chinese suppliers, and this is not impossible. I will have samples within a month, and do some testing.
Most likely I will have multiple samples of different sizes for inside and outside... Looking into this industry with help from my Chinese team, tells me these product might be very overpriced in the US...., and still with a lot of development potential.

I have developed and sold computer accessories in the US and Europe for many years, and after buying my JK, I see an opportunity here.
I might develop a full product line with all kind of lights. Any ideas for lights that would be interesting to develop, PM me, and I will send it to my team in China for development quotes. I am already looking into a high power CREE LED for mounting flush into the grill with up to 4000 Lumens, without causing less cooling for the radiator.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GoRemote
I want to add a LED light bar, but want it mounted inside of the windshield if possible, since I sometimes park overnight in "not so good" neighborhoods... It would be harder to steal, and also be more protected. Anyone seen or heard of this...?
Originally Posted by Rico
Google came up with this
911Lights.com - Interior Lightbars
Signal Vehicle Products Starburst Dash-mount Lightbar, 6" w/ 6-LED Array Unit, Suction-cup Front Mounts & Cigarette Plug DL156 | $5 Shipping Sitewide!
I have to admit had never even thought of anything inside the windshield ....that is something that someone should design albeit ..they would have to make it sit right against the windshield for glare reasons...maybe with a shock proof rubber lip that sits between the two.
I see that our website 911Lights.com is getting a lot of hits from this thread, I wanted to see if I could be of any assistance?

What is the purpose of this lightbar, is it for warning or for area/driving lights?

Last edited by Jared @ 911Lights.com; 12-10-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Quick Reply: LED light bar for inside mounting...?