Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LED light covers required in Cali?

Old 06-26-2014, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED light covers required in Cali?

Does anyone know if you need to have led light bars covered by law in California? I remember reading when I got my bumper off road lights (KC hi light halogens) that it was required but I see so many people without them I wonder if it is just something that is generally overlooked by the police.

I just got some led cubes to put on my a pillars and was wondering.

Thanks
Old 07-03-2014, 09:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what I found regarding state laws in California

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd12c2a2.htm
Old 07-15-2014, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anything above your headlights should be covered. I've gotten pulled over a few times for not having mine covered.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My understanding is that regardless of if you are in the states or in Canada anything above the headlights is suppose to be covered when on the road. Had some folks crossing into the states that were told they had to put their covers on to cross the border.

Most cops in certain regions just seem to ignore it-it seems.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Interesting. It probably depends on the border crossing points. I already went back and forth to Canada from Seattle and never had anyone say anything. Only lights I cover are the Hella Rallies 4000 on top of the bullbar (too exposed to road debris so I only take the covers out when I'll use them). The PIAAs on the A column and LED lightbar on the cargo rack frame are never covered.

Last edited by Sahara_Maverick; 07-15-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

In Ca. no more than 4 forward facing lights ( driving, fog or off road ) regardless of height. Everything else must be covered. Now the only ones who care would be the CHP or traffic (motor) officer and only after they stopped you for another violation. In my 20 years as a Ca. LEO I never heard of anyone issuing a citation for this unless the violator had them turned on while driving on city streets or freeway.

Last edited by Bkeeper; 07-16-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bkeeper
In Ca. no more than 4 forward facing lights ( driving, fog or off road ) regardless of height. Everything else must be covered. Now the only ones how care would be the CHP or traffic (motor) officer and only after they stopped you for another violation. In my 20 years as a Ca. LEO I never heard of anyone issuing a citation for this unless the violator had them turned on while driving on city streets or freeway.
Great response!

Quick Reply: LED light covers required in Cali?