Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LIGHTING - Bumper or Post

Old 11-11-2015, 05:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LIGHTING - Bumper or Post

I know that placing the lights on the bumper or post is based on a personal level. I'm looking to see if one location is better that the other, and why.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends if you want spots or floods. Don't put floods up high... They'll reflect off your hood and cause a glare.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've put a number of lighting set-ups on my Jeep, with various different lights and also moved them around.

Lighting on the windshield is a much better place, the higher level allows the light to throw a longer and clearer distance for pencil-beam and driving lights. Btw, fog lights stay lower, so on the bumper. Of all the lights I have, the windshield lights get used the most often.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe206NA
I know that placing the lights on the bumper or post is based on a personal level. I'm looking to see if one location is better that the other, and why.
Different uses require different lights and light locations.
What do want them for? Looks? Road? Offroad?
Old 11-12-2015, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. great info. I'm looking for off-road , with appearence second. I like the warns with the remote switch because you don't compromise the firewall.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe206NA
Thanks for the replies. great info. I'm looking for off-road , with appearence second. I like the warns with the remote switch because you don't compromise the firewall.
No need to compromise the firewall. There’s a hole at the passenger side, through which you can lead the wiring.

Offroading speeds are relatively slow. The most efficient lighting would be wide & even light spread – that’s flood lights & driving lights.
At the relatively close range and slow speed, Spot lights contribute nothing. The strong & small light patches on soil, rocks or branches, will make the eye pupils close, which reduces visibility outside the strong spots of light.

Flood light pointing forward, plus 2 small floods at the corners, facing 45 degrees to the sides, would be optimal.

Lights located above the drivers’ eyes expose depressions and bumps that lights under the eye level hide –

Click image for larger version

Name:	Below vs Above Line of Sight - Offroad.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	630047

The best location is on a light bar.

Flood lights, low on the A-pillar, reflect light from the hood, so they are counter-productive, unless they're aimed so they throw the light sideways rather than forward.

Rock lights under the Jeep are very efficient for a spotter.

Last edited by GJeep; 11-13-2015 at 11:34 AM.

Quick Reply: LIGHTING - Bumper or Post