Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Lighting Help

Old 01-15-2015, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I try to explain it in a little more detail since I have time right now. Load Circuit[*]You want to run (2) 8 gauge wires from the battery area back to the rear fixture, one for power and one for ground.[*]Connect the power and ground wires to the fixture.[*]Returning to the battery area, you don't want to connect the power wire directly to the battery. You will be placing your relay and fuse in this wire.[*]Find a good location to mount the relay along the path of the power wire.[*]Cut the power wire at the relay.[*]Connect the side of the power wire that comes from the light fixture to pin 87 of the SPST(single-pole, single-throw) automotive relay.[*]Attach the other side of the power wire that runs toward the battery to pin 30 of the relay.[*]On the battery side of the wire from pin 30, attach a fuse holder.[*]Attach the other side of the fuse holder to the battery positive.[*]Connect the ground wire from the fixture directly to the battery ground. So now the power wire should be coming from the battery to one side of the fuse holder, out of the other side of the fuse holder to pin 30 of the relay, and out from pin 87 of the relay to the light fixture positive. The ground wire goes directly from the battery ground to the fixture. You have now completed the load side of the install. All that is left is the control circuit. Control Circuit[*]Run a wire from pin 85 to the location inside the tub of your switch.[*]Connect it to one side of the switch.[*]Run a wire from the other side of the switch to the nearest ground lug in the tub.[*]Connect pin 86 of the relay to 12V power source (either switched or unswitched, depending on your needs). This completes the installation.
Very clear description. Thanks for the info. I have a 20 inch light bar on the way. I am experienced with electrical wiring but not with relays so the above description was very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 01-15-2015, 05:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MTMxRubi
Very clear description. Thanks for the info. I have a 20 inch light bar on the way. I am experienced with electrical wiring but not with relays so the above description was very helpful.

Sounds nice...that's a good size light bar. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds nice...that's a good size light bar. Let me know if you have any questions.
Success. Installed 20 light bar and rugged ridge a pillar switch mount. Lights up the night.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:19 PM
JK Junkie

Success. Installed 20 light bar and rugged ridge a pillar switch mount. Lights up the night.

Awesome! Got pics?
Old 02-20-2015, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome! Got pics?
Sorry for the delayed response but here are some pics (no night pics yet but it is damn bright). Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-551558330.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	597911   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2208804517.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	597912   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-878362424.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	597913  

Last edited by MTMxRubi; 02-20-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:53 PM
JK Junkie

Sorry for the delayed response but here are some pics (no night pics yet but it is damn bright). Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Looks great! Good job!

Quick Reply: Lighting Help