Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Lights on Power Window Switches Out - Fixable or Replace?

Old 01-24-2016, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lights on Power Window Switches Out - Fixable or Replace?

Three of the four little green lights on my power window switch cluster in my '11 JKU have gone out. I pulled the cluster out of the dash for a look-see (small flat tip screwdriver popped the cluster out then pulled the plug off the back of the cluster) and couldn't figure how to get the individual switches out. I assume the LEDs(?) are integral to the switches themselves.

Is this fixable or should I just get a new one from Mopar? Thanks!
Old 01-24-2016, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I too have a 2011 with the same problem. I've just ignored it, but now I'm curious to see what answers might develop.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

The four switch back-lights are incandescent lamps, mounted on a common circuit board inside the switch box assembly.
A few years ago there was a thread on this forum showing how to take the assembly apart and stick an LED on each of the four burned out incandescent lamps.

It was not what can be described as easy. It involved a lot of de-soldering and re-soldering. Not too hard if you are familiar with that kind of work. Difficult or not, you have to want to get into it pretty badly.

Do a google search for: LED light upgrade for your power window switches
Old 01-24-2016, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'm curious if they're the same bulb that was used in the HVAC cluster in 07-10, if so then the disassembly isn't bad and the bulbs are cheap. It also ensures your dash stays the same color it was designed to be instead of bright or funky colored because of LED's.

I can find that receipt if you'd like, batteries + bulbs had the bulbs in stock.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I'm curious if they're the same bulb that was used in the HVAC cluster in 07-10, if so then the disassembly isn't bad and the bulbs are cheap. It also ensures your dash stays the same color it was designed to be instead of bright or funky colored because of LED's.

I can find that receipt if you'd like, batteries + bulbs had the bulbs in stock.
The bulbs in the window switches don't look like any bulb I have ever seen.
If you can post the info you have on the HVAC bulbs, I'll look them up and see if they appear to be the same.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Tomorrow morning I'll find the receipt. The bulb sits down inside of a plastic base that is held onto the board by soldering the bulb in place.

Nobody knew anything about the bulb until I separated it from the base then I started getting answers.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Tomorrow morning I'll find the receipt. The bulb sits down inside of a plastic base that is held onto the board by soldering the bulb in place. Nobody knew anything about the bulb until I separated it from the base then I started getting answers.
I am curious to know more about this as well. Have my Hvac is out and same with Windows. Would really like to Babel to fix them rather than buying new from mopar
Old 01-24-2016, 09:22 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe Switch Doctor sells a replacement unit. That's what I did when my 08 went kaput.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

The bulbs I bought from Batteries Plus Bulbs were MIN10756, but that number yields no results. The number under it is magic- 8640. It's an 8640 miniature lamp and they were $3 each. You'd never know I replaced the bulbs with anything different, it all appears perfectly factory.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the great recommendations!

Quick Reply: Lights on Power Window Switches Out - Fixable or Replace?