Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Loading songs on HDD of 430 problem

Old 08-31-2014, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loading songs on HDD of 430 problem

I'm not even going to pretend there is an issue with my equipment. Most likely it is operator error. Before we get to the point I am not going to change my cell, head unit, etc just to make this work.

I can insert a CD and copy single songs or entire CD to the HDD with no problem. If I download songs from iTunes to my iPhone 5, then plug it into the front USB port I am unable to transfer songs. It will play them but not transfer to HDD. When I select the My Files hard key the USB soft key does not light up as an option. I can however transfer the songs from iTunes to a USB stick and plug that into the front USB port and I then have the ability to copy the songs.

Am I doing something wrong here? I would think there would be a way to cut out the "middle man", USB stick, and just transfer straight from phone to HDD.

For those that know what I need to do please type slowly, I grew up in the 8-track era, so I am not really keen on what a zip, wave, and such are. I can however follow simple directions.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

My buss guess is the portable USB flash drive must be formatted correctly in order for the MyGIG to detect it. I don't have the time this morning to type out the long directions but search for "mygig" and "format" and I'm sure something will come up.

If memory serves me correct if you are running windows PC is should be formatted as FAT32 and if it's a MAC it should be exFAT.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:02 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CB Vet
I'm not even going to pretend there is an issue with my equipment. Most likely it is operator error. Before we get to the point I am not going to change my cell, head unit, etc just to make this work.

I can insert a CD and copy single songs or entire CD to the HDD with no problem. If I download songs from iTunes to my iPhone 5, then plug it into the front USB port I am unable to transfer songs. It will play them but not transfer to HDD. When I select the My Files hard key the USB soft key does not light up as an option. I can however transfer the songs from iTunes to a USB stick and plug that into the front USB port and I then have the ability to copy the songs.

Am I doing something wrong here? I would think there would be a way to cut out the "middle man", USB stick, and just transfer straight from phone to HDD.

For those that know what I need to do please type slowly, I grew up in the 8-track era, so I am not really keen on what a zip, wave, and such are. I can however follow simple directions.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Nothing to worry about. You're doing it correctly. You can only data transfer from a CD or USB flashdrive. Ipod can only play.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I never figured out how to load from iPhone to 430 myself. Didn't try to put them on a stick, just loaded all from the CDs that I fortunately still had. Anything I only had on the iPhone had to be burned to a CD and then loaded that way. Took about a month to load all my CDs during my daily commutes.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You can't use an iPhone or iPod like an external HD for transferring files to the 430n (in fact, I don't think you can use these for that purpose for any file transfer other than to back up your device).
As was already pointed out, use a USB stick; they're cheap and the transfer is fast and not that difficult to effect, assuming you have a computer that has your songs of interest. I believe that you could also use an external HD with a USB port, but I haven't tried this.

The other advantage of using a USB stick is that you can create named folders and put just the songs you want into each folder, and those folder names will appear on the 430n (if you're searching/playing by "Folder" selection). But, if you have the same song in multiple folders, it will play multiple times if you choose the "Songs" form of playback on the 430n.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:24 PM
JK Freak

the problem is with your i product. you can thank steve jobs for being a bag of soggy dicks about that.

Quick Reply: Loading songs on HDD of 430 problem