Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Looking for Backup Camera

Old 08-12-2015, 09:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Backup Camera

Hello,

I have a huge blind spot in the back of my Jeep. Essentially, the entire Jeep, aside from the outside mirrors. I have too much stuff installed on the back of my Jeep, and it almost totally obscures the rear window. So... I'd like to install a backup camera. This has been on my list for a while, and I'm now getting serious about the research. Part of the reason is I recently bought a Mazda3 which has one, and I'm getting spoiled!

I'm looking for options, so any help is appreciated. If replying, please give some detail on manufacturer, ease of install, etc.

Criteria:
  • Jeep is a 2014 JKUR.
  • I have the basic radio, no nav, so no display.
  • I'd like it to look good. Willing to pay a bit extra for this.
  • AEV Trail Dash MAY be a possibility, but I'm not overly impressed with it - I would have really no other use for it besides this. I'm using the SPOD for control of lighting, compressor, etc., as I liked the look of that over the TrailDash. Also, the TrailDash sits on the dashboard, which to me is a "magnet" saying "steal me".
  • Mirror mounted is appealing - looks professional, out of the way, etc. Also something flip-up might work. MAY consider radio replacement, but not thrilled about that option. I have 56 year old ears, and a standard radio is fine to them.
  • Willing to consider "professional" installation, although I'm pretty handy with tools and electronics. Just not thrilled with the possibility of doing the work in SE New Mexico 100°+ heat!

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Irv
Old 08-16-2015, 01:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a video on installing a cool camera from Amazon.

Now you have a basic radio so you would need some sort of video monitor.

If your willing to pay then you have endless options.

Upgrade to the factory touchscreen 430 RBZ or even the 430N RHB

Or the new pioneer system I also did a video on.

http://youtu.be/bU_3Sk4nucg
Old 08-17-2015, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed eSky licensed plate cam on my front bumper...camera displays automatically when in gear and under 8mph...got the eSky off amazon less than $40 and so far it's been great...I've ordered the coastal in motion JK backup cam which mounts behind the spare...using a Lockpick v5 on the 720 touchscreen...the Lockpick makes it easy...the radio will automatically switch to the cameras. The lockpick will even allow for left and right signal cams and activate them when you hit the blinker...what I'm liking most...I'm kinda tall...and I used to have to crouch over twisting my neck to see the traffic lights in my JK...now I can see the lights on my radio display..through the esky ...lol
Old 08-17-2015, 07:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put one in my 2010 that I got from Costco.com for 180 bucks. Comes with a new rear view mirror that has the screen built in when I put it in reverse. Works fantastic with a really great picture.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKZinger
I put one in my 2010 that I got from Costco.com for 180 bucks. Comes with a new rear view mirror that has the screen built in when I put it in reverse. Works fantastic with a really great picture.
I was thinking of going with the AEV camera and mirror but the thought of saving $500 is nice! Do you have any picture of the camera location? Did you need any adapters to install the mirror?

http://m.costco.com/OEM-Style-Rear-V...100135078.html
Old 08-18-2015, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKZinger
I'm looking for a back-up camera solution and I too have the 130 radio. Was the install difficult? A couple of the reviews online mention that the install instructions are near worthless. Where do you tap into the reverse signal? Thanks for taking the time to help us out here.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:48 AM
JK Freak

Did the Boss BV430RVM over 2 years ago. Still works good. Primarily use it for hitching up the boat and to avoid backing over things.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...der-jk-274533/
Old 08-23-2015, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I put one of these on my rear view mirror, I wanted a bigger screen and not the tiny little window thing on a regular rear view mirror, plus I couldn't see out the back anyway so there was no point keeping any kind of mirror (this one is actually reflective and you can use it like a mirror anyway). There are smaller sizes if you don't want one this big.

Digital Panel 10 2'' TFT Screen Car Rearview Mirror Monitor with Touch Button | eBay

Then just pick up a cheap camera w/ an RCA out from Amazon, like this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Flush-Waterpro...ds=gino+camera

I have two cameras, one pointing straight back when driving, so I can see behind me and in my blind spots, and a lower one that kicks on when I put the jeep in reverse for backing up.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:16 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RAMbone
I'm looking for a back-up camera solution and I too have the 130 radio. Was the install difficult? A couple of the reviews online mention that the install instructions are near worthless. Where do you tap into the reverse signal? Thanks for taking the time to help us out here.
It was an easy install. I tapped into the reverse light wire in the back taillight. I have the LoD rear bumper and I put the camera in the hitch hole since I never use it. I used 3M double stock tape and it hasn't come loose even running the Rubicon and submersing it. The rear view mirror that comes with it is much better than my OEM mirror also.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:17 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TripleBJK
I was thinking of going with the AEV camera and mirror but the thought of saving $500 is nice! Do you have any picture of the camera location? Did you need any adapters to install the mirror? http://m.costco.com/OEM-Style-Rear-V...100135078.html
Didn't need any adapters and I got better instructions by calling them up.

Quick Reply: Looking for Backup Camera