Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

looking to tap into cig lighter wire

Old 02-22-2017, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I did not have the ignition on only because the cig lighters work when the car is off (Always HOT).

I will however attempt after work with the car on.

Also, you are very right, 50/50 shot, not a huge deal if I mess up.

Thanks for all your help.

When i have completed the job I will write back and let everyone know how it went and if this is a good option for small accessories such as a dash cam.

Thanks again,

Jesse
Old 02-22-2017, 11:02 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by swarbrickjesse
I did not have the ignition on only because the cig lighters work when the car is off (Always HOT).
Ah, my plug there on my '13 is simply a 12v phone charger, and is only hot with the ignition on.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ylojelo
anyone know the wire color for the cig lighter (and where to find it?), maybe under the dash so i dont have to take the dash apart just to tap into a wire? Otherwise, I'm prepared to take the dash apart
quadratech has a wire harness that you can plug right into the factory wire harness.

Quick Reply: looking to tap into cig lighter wire