Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Looking to upgrade stock headlights

Old 09-14-2016, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mandymarvelous
I basically have the same question about headlights. I really want to upgrade mine since the stock ones are TERRIBLE. At night when the road is wet is the worst. I literally can't tell if they're on or not.

Anyway, I know NOTHING about lights or anything electrical. I can't spend a lot of money because I'm moving soon, and I've already spent too much on my Jeep this summer. I don't want anything fancy, I just simply want brighter headlights. I've looked on Amazon and other Jeep sites like Quadratec and I'm totally lost. Do I need to get the whole headlight or can I just buy some new bulbs? I'm also worried about the installation. Are there any plug and play options? Like I said, I know nothing about this stuff so I'm not going to attempt to splice wires and connect to the battery or whatever. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Also, what's the difference between LED and HID and whatever else? I heard LED is good but they seem to be pricey.
i used to have a set of 55 watt hid headlights with ballasts and bulbs that I had bought off of Amazon and they are very bright I was flashed all the time by on coming drivers. They also blew bulbs like crazy I think I went through 3 different bulbs and two ballasts they all were replaced for free cause Amazon just kept sending me out replacements as long as I sent the old ones back but it got really old so I decided to throw my stock headlights back in. I would highly sugggest not using them or maybe find a better kit but the. One I bought was around $100 so I didn't think it was too cheap of a kit but I guess I was wrong.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rocklobster27
i used to have a set of 55 watt hid headlights with ballasts and bulbs that I had bought off of Amazon and they are very bright I was flashed all the time by on coming drivers. They also blew bulbs like crazy I think I went through 3 different bulbs and two ballasts they all were replaced for free cause Amazon just kept sending me out replacements as long as I sent the old ones back but it got really old so I decided to throw my stock headlights back in. I would highly sugggest not using them or maybe find a better kit but the. One I bought was around $100 so I didn't think it was too cheap of a kit but I guess I was wrong.
You got flashed because the OEM housings were never designed to work with HID lights. Rather, because of how the light itself it positioned inside the housing, it doesn't work well. That's why a retrofit works. The projector focuses the light rather than the headlight lense. Now I do recall reading on another forum a few years back when they did a headlight shootout where one specific plug & play HID kit (non-retrofit) actually worked really well. But I don't remember which company made them. They were a reputable vendor on that site, though.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Anybody know anything about the Razir-7 halo projector headlight?

http://www.hidextra.com/razir-7-led-...adlights-pair/
Old 09-14-2016, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

To the OP the only problem with LED,as u are in Oregon, I assume you get snow. The standard LEDs don't get hot enough to melt snow like a halogen or HID. I'm still running the stock lights for now. When they go, I will replace with a heated LED. Truck lite is the only one I am aware of now. But if I wait long enough the market will drive others to make heated copies for the 50% of us that live north of the 40th parallel.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocklobster27
You can't run HID bulbs in stock housings. They throw light everywhere. You have to go projectors
Old 09-14-2016, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The great thing about the projectors is a great cutoff and bright light output.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-196775375.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	337.2 KB
ID:	656833

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-287337379.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	465.5 KB
ID:	656834

Stock vs HID
Old 09-14-2016, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

I have the quadratec led plug and play kit and I'm happy with them. they aren't as bright as hids but you hopefully shouldn't have to replace a bulb for quite some time and installation is super easy
Old 09-14-2016, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed the omotor led headlights with halo from Amazon last weekend and so far I am very happy with the purchase. $119.
The non halo are even less $&
The headlights are very bright and o think you would be happy with them, especially for the price. They also come with the harnesses so it's plug and play for the headlights, if you get the halos you will have to tap into the parking light wire but it's not hard.
Just search omotor jeep led headlights on Amazon and you'll see them

2015 Hydro Blue JKU
Old 09-15-2016, 04:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I ran across a guy selling an ARB IPF H4 kit about 3 years ago for $50. He had never installed them, so I figured I would give them a shot. I have been extremely pleased with them ever since. They put out a lot more light that the stock lights, and you don't have to worry about them turning yellow and hazy. The kit sells for $191.95 now, and it's all plug and play.

ARB IPF H4 Headlight Conversion Kit for 07-16 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK | Quadratec
Old 09-15-2016, 04:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jsukey
I ran across a guy selling an ARB IPF H4 kit about 3 years ago for $50. He had never installed them, so I figured I would give them a shot. I have been extremely pleased with them ever since. They put out a lot more light that the stock lights, and you don't have to worry about them turning yellow and hazy. The kit sells for $191.95 now, and it's all plug and play.

ARB IPF H4 Headlight Conversion Kit for 07-16 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK | Quadratec
I started off with the IPF H4 conversion myself and found it to be a bit lacking. It's still just a halogen bulb. And flat lense housing instead of the domed OEM version. It was somewhat better than the stock lighting but still not quite enough of an improvement for me. So I went HID projector conversion instead and I've been happy since.

Quick Reply: Looking to upgrade stock headlights