Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LOUD Speakers

Old 04-20-2014, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have these speakers but they are just powered by the head unit. no amp but they are pretty loud even with the top off and they are very clean sounding.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ya like what ya like that's cool. Because there are mids and highs that can take 5 times that.

Sent while plotting to take over the world!
Old 04-21-2014, 06:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ThwopKing
Any real reason you are set on type r's? There's much better out there Sent while plotting to take over the world!
No, no particular reason, saw them on crutch field and then on Amazon and figured they where a good price for such a large amount of power input. See I want like concert loud at highway speeds with the top and doors off figured these would be able to achieve that. What would be better. I also saw DDs new comments which make no sense to me, 419 dollars for speakers that on have 50 rms? Seems like a ripoff to me
Old 04-22-2014, 01:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chance53
No, no particular reason, saw them on crutch field and then on Amazon and figured they where a good price for such a large amount of power input. See I want like concert loud at highway speeds with the top and doors off figured these would be able to achieve that. What would be better. I also saw DDs new comments which make no sense to me, 419 dollars for speakers that on have 50 rms? Seems like a ripoff to me
. Go listen at a reputable dealer. Buy speakers based on what sounds good to you not what someone tells you sounds good.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running front components that can handle 100w RMS and an amp that delivers over 75 WPC RMS.

As noted, you'll need proper amplification to achieve your goal.

It's quite powerful and can be cranked up enough to just plain be painful before the power drops out.

With top and doors off it's still strong.

Last edited by arjeeper; 04-22-2014 at 03:56 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

You think the type r's will sounds better because they have a higher power handling? Lol dirty noise still creates spl. ... the rms means nothing. Those DD's will be louder and clearer.

Sent while plotting to take over the world!
Old 04-23-2014, 04:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ThwopKing
You think the type r's will sounds better because they have a higher power handling? Lol dirty noise still creates spl. ... the rms means nothing. Those DD's will be louder and clearer. Sent while plotting to take over the world!
Really? My thinking was that I like the sound I have now (alpine premium system) very clear little or no distortion. I just want the same thing, just louder. So my thinking was just get some simple/similar speakers with more power input? Doesn't seem like the best thing to look for when speaker shopping but to me it makes sines I guess lol
Old 04-23-2014, 07:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Really? My thinking was that I like the sound I have now (alpine premium system) very clear little or no distortion. I just want the same thing, just louder. So my thinking was just get some simple/similar speakers with more power input? Doesn't seem like the best thing to look for when speaker shopping but to me it makes sines I guess lol
That's not unreasonable. I looked at the Type Rs as well when I was picking out gear and they seemed well regarded.

I think those and at least 75-100w RMS quality amplification would suit you very well.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

I had Type-R's in my old car and they were great even without an amp, I just ran them off the headunit. I had a full alpine system with Type-R speakers all around including a 12" sub and I would definitely put the same system into my JKUR. I used to run it in my car at volume 25 if I wanted to "crank it" but I could turn it up to 35 and it'd still play clear, the tweeters hurts my ears at anything over 30. But it comes down to what sounds best to you, the type-r's were the best sounding when I checked them out at the store.

Quick Reply: LOUD Speakers