Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Mouse living under my hood

Old 03-02-2015, 10:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mouse living under my hood

2011 JKU.

So I started having weird problems with my power door locks. Passenger door would only work intermittently. Sometimes only with the switch on the door other times only when the door was open. I triple checked the connection for the passenger door which was good.

I feel like I have a decent understanding of how things work but I'm far from a mechanic but I assumed it was a short or bad solenoid or something. Then my drivers door lock started making weird noises when it locked. I had a shop look at it because I won't even attempt anything electrical.

They found a mouse had started making a nest under my fuse box between it and the battery. It started to chew its way through the large cluster of wires that comes out the fuse box and runs in front of the battery. It did chew off some of the plastic housing that protects the wires but I wasn't able to an actual wire that had been chewed.

I'm hoping someone might know which wires coming out of the fuse box are for the power door locks.

Here's some pictures to show where the mouse made his home. One shows the wires he chewed the housing off.

I have taken the steps I can to make sure he is gone with no signs of him coming back.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2324138064.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	599511   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-635459564.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	599512   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2740018862.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	599513  
Old 03-02-2015, 11:13 PM
Former Member

I had much the same problem. Solved it by snagging the neighbors' cats that where using my veggie garden as a toilet. Gave them a new home in the engine compartment
But seriously I feel for you and it's hard to discourage a future problem. Once they get that mouse smell in there others will come back. When you get all problems corrected you might want to spray a whack of the sticky rustproofing stuff in there. NO not to glue them in but just to make it uncomfortable to walk on.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Manufacturers are using soy products more and more.

Car products becoming a tasty treat for critters

Mothballs seem to help.

http://ctwatchdog.com/finance/rodent...costly-repairs

Last edited by 14Sport; 03-03-2015 at 04:31 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. I haven't seen any sign of the mouse coming back. But there is still mouse poop in places that you just can't get cleaned out. We used air hoses to blow it out as best we could but I didn't really think of the smell still in there attracting future ones. I'll find a spot to put some moth balls in there and keep a close eye on it.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Mouse living under my hood