Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

My Pioneer AVH-4200NEX with Maestro RR

Old 10-07-2016, 06:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same set-up other than i installed a 5200NEX

Originally Posted by cpellegren
I wanted to do a write up on my install today to hopefully make someones life as easy as mine. In my 2014 JK Freedom edition, I had the stock RES130S, uConnect, and steering wheel controls. I wanted to replace the head unit with something that has Apple Carplay (and Android Auto) but wanted to make sure I was able to use my steering wheel controls. After some research, I decided to go with the new Pioneer AVH-4200NEX and use the iDatalink Maestro RR to integrate my steering wheel controls, console USB, and even gauges and vehicle info into the head unit.

Here is a shopping list if you are in the market for this build (all lowest prices I could find for everything you need):
Pioneer AVH-4200NEX - http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-42...ilpage_o01_s00
Maestro RR and CH1 Wiring Harness - Amazon.com: ADS Maestro iDatalink ADS-MRR Steering Wheel Control Interface w/ HRN-RR-CH1Chrysler Integration Harness and a FREE SOTS Air Freshener: Automotive
Metra Dash Adapter - http://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-6511-...ilpage_o02_s00
Antenna Adapter - Metra 40-EU10 Antenna Adapter Works with select 2000-up vehicles ? Motorola male to factory antenna female at Crutchfield.com
(Optional, I got it because I am a big Sirius fan) Sirius Tuner - http://www.amazon.com/SiriusXM-SXV30...ilpage_o00_s00
(Optional, connects the factory Sirius antenna to the Sirius tuner, the tuner includes external antenna) SAT1 - iDatalink Maestro SAT1 Satellite radio antenna adapter ? use your vehicle's factory satellite radio antenna with the SiriusXM tuner at Crutchfield.com
Lightning Cable for Carplay
USB Cable for Android Auto

I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Granted I have done this a few times before, but the Maestro RR made installing the head unit so easy. The wiring between the Pioneer harness and the CH1 harness is super simple, the colors are basically the same. From there it is just plug and go with the directions from Maestro.

When you flash the Maestro, you get to chose what features you want to retain - Steering Wheel, uConnect, EVIC, gauges, etc. I left all checked, including "Factory Amp" even though I do not have the alpine upgrade with Amp and Sub (the Maestro will auto detect anyways).

Some questions that I had before the install that might help you out:

Do you have to uncheck the "gauges" option when flashing the Maestro if you do not intend to wire it? No.
Will the stock microphone work for things like Siri / Apple Carplay calls? No, you have to use the Pioneer's mic.
Can you use the radio / sirius for audio while using Apple Maps for navigation? Yes (which is awesome, I assumed no)
Do you have to use uConnect for bluetooth if you leave it enabled when flashing the Maestro? No, you can use the Pioneer bluetooth built in.
Do you need the USB extension cable for the uConnect module for your glove box USB to work? No, the Maestro takes care of that (unless you want your glove box USB to use USB1 or USB2 in on the head unit).

When installing the head unit, I connected the USB extension cable to the back of USB1 - that way I can have my iPhone plugged in, but still update the software if I need to. Plugged a micro USB directly into USB2.

I am very OCD when it comes to wires showing. I wired the mic from the headunit, behind the dash and gauges, up the windshield pillar, and actually found the mic clips perfectly right where the stock uConnect mic is on the pillar (see pictures). The two USBs I wired down the dash and hang out the bottom into where the bungee pocket is by the shifter (see other pics).

So far, I love the 4200NEX, so easy to use and looks so nice in the dash. Makes the stock speakers sound better as well.

Long story short, hope this helps someone else out. Enjoy.

Attachment 645238
Attachment 645239
Attachment 645240

Where does the Audio cable running from the maestro to the stereo hook-up? i have three options (AUX, W/R, REAR AUDIO OUT)

Another problem i have is that either people can hear me talk but i cannot hear them or i can hear them and they cannot hear me.

The issue, my controls on the rear of the steering wheel work but my controls for answering a call and/or prompting siri arent working.

Thought?
Old 10-07-2016, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

How did you set the Maestro up when you flashed it? Keep Uconnect? If you kept Uconnect the audio wire plugs into the W/R. If you didn't keep Uconnect, you don't need the audio cable at all. If you kep Uconnect and don't have the auido cable plugged into the correct spot on the back of the radio, that could be why you are having audio issues.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:12 AM
JK Newbie

I'm getting ready to install the 4200NEX, using the CH1 and MRR, micro bypass, SXV300V1, Metra adapters, replacing my 730n RHR in my 2012 JKUR with manual transmission. I have one question - the violet/white from the Pioneer harness - does it need to be wired to the wire in the passenger kick panel or can it be connected to the CH1 harness?

Thanks!
Mike
Old 01-29-2017, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cride
How did you set the Maestro up when you flashed it? Keep Uconnect? If you kept Uconnect the audio wire plugs into the W/R. If you didn't keep Uconnect, you don't need the audio cable at all. If you kep Uconnect and don't have the auido cable plugged into the correct spot on the back of the radio, that could be why you are having audio issues.
I'm having audio issues too. I have no audio at all. I went with no uconnect on the maestro. I have tried all 3 plugs that the audio cable would fit in but nothing. I'm not sure what to do.. everything else on the maestro works perfect . Thanks in advance

Jason
Old 02-05-2017, 03:56 PM
JK Newbie

Default Eject issues

Installed my 4200NEX today everything went great except when I hit eject the bottom hit the dash and then won't open. Anyone else have this problem or got any pointers. Thanks in advance
Old 02-05-2017, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds to me like either the stereo is set back too far or the dash panel isn't snapped/locked into place properly maybe. I have the 4100 nex and have no issues opening/closing.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks to the OP for posting the parts list and his experience with the NEX, i've been considering one of them as a replacement for my 730N.

could someone here with any of the NEX series and and Android tablet please check something for me?

1) confirm that you can use an Android tablet instead of a phone for the Android Auto functionality?

2) if so, can you pair an Android phone via BlueTooth for calls while the tablet is connected via USB for Android Auto? i.e. the tablet would do all of the Android Auto stuff like Google Maps and Pandora, but you could also make hands-free phone calls?

i ask because phones and tablets are handled differently sometimes. for example, my factory 730N won't even pair via bluetooth with a tablet for media audio, it can only pair with actual phone devices. i have a semi-permanent mounted tablet with Verizon data that i would like to use with a NEX. i'm hoping i could control Pandora running on the tablet from the NEX while still using a topo map app on the tablet...

thanks in advance if anyone can test for me!
Old 03-04-2017, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

Hey everyone, new to the forums here and will be posting an introduction thread with some pictures once I return home from work. I look forward to meeting everyone, gaining some friends, and learning tips and tricks along the way.

I drive a 2014 JKU Altitude with the premium alpine sound system. Looking to upgrade the stock headunit and I've done plenty of research but can't seem to find an answer to my question. I've decided to go with the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX with the Maestro connection to keep my steering wheel controls and system Info.

Now here's my question, will the "menu" button on my steering wheel still work with the factory dash to display things like system info (oil temp, oil life, trans temp, coolant temp, etc.), mpg, compass and temp, tire pressure, mph, Etc.

I cant seem to find an answer to that question, I understand the headunit itself has the capability to display all that information but I'd like to know if the dash will continue to display the information as well.

Also will the dash continue to display recommend maintenance? For instance "Change oil soon"

Thank you for the help!
Old 03-04-2017, 03:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jlesher714
I'm having audio issues too. I have no audio at all. I went with no uconnect on the maestro. I have tried all 3 plugs that the audio cable would fit in but nothing. I'm not sure what to do.. everything else on the maestro works perfect . Thanks in advance Jason
Did you ever figure this out. I have the same issue with my maestro and JVC.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

Default Help with the wiring.

Just taking a look at the wires and it seems that the sound wires from the head unit are plugs. Do I cut them off and wire them to the harness? Any chance you have the wiring harness diagram or some pics? I'll do some searching but this is my first stereo install and I'm looking to do it right.

Cheers,
Christopher

I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Granted I have done this a few times before, but the Maestro RR made installing the head unit so easy. The wiring between the Pioneer harness and the CH1 harness is super simple, the colors are basically the same. From there it is just plug and go with the directions from Maestro.

Quick Reply: My Pioneer AVH-4200NEX with Maestro RR