Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

My sPOD experience

Old 10-17-2016, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My sPOD experience

Im sure there is already a post on here about How To install, but i havent seen one in recent date so i figured id share my experience with getting the sPOD installed and some stuff hooked up.

a little background, I received a Viair HD OBA system from my wonderful wife for my birthday this past summer, and when i started researching installs i far from satisfied with the "drill a hole and put a switch wherever" solution for wiring, nor was i interested in running a TON of random fuses, relays, wires etc to power multiple accessories going forward.

I looked into building my own sPOD type system but ill be the first one to admit i had no f-ing clue where to start let alone how to go about it. There are a few good write ups on how to do these types of systems but i wanted to go with something i could trust and that would cause 0 headaches and feel as if it was an integrated module of my vehicle.

after a few emails back and forth with the guys over at sPOD i ended up going with the 6 switch dual led setup with air gauge. it was way more than i wanted to spend on this, but know that in the long run ill be happier with the more complete setup

Brown Santa was swift with his delivery and the system sat in the box for about a month waiting install,(kids, work, life etc...got in the way)

i recently was the winner of a LED bar giveaway from black oak, and when that showed up at my house i figured i should properly wire in the compressor and get the new toy installed as well which necessitated the install of the SPOD, and holy cow it was a breeze to put in and i wish i had done it sooner. The temporary fuse tap underhood switch on my compressor was starting to scare me, and having a proper dedicated switch now is great.

The most difficult part was routing the cable behind the top of the interior trim without pinching my fingers. total install time was about 3 beers( 2 hours) and after getting it in place, total time to wire up the compressor and 20" grille mounted bar was about 5 minutes per accessory.

overall im really excited that adding accessories moving forward will be less of a puzzle, and that i wont have to worry about draining my battery from accidently leaving the compressor on or if my kid hits a switch and leaves lights on.

ill post a few more photos in daylight when i have a chance.

a few photos for reference
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	659073
I had to re-locate my air manifold closer to the engine, the compressor output line would have hit the SPOD

Name:	image6.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	659078Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	659074
the top trim piece needs to be cut to clear the bracket, I ended up having to cut a bit wider than i thought. two quick zips with the dremel and it was done.

Name:	image3.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	659075
interior trim removal was a snap(literally) once you take off the ends, the center piece pulls down and is held in place with those little metal trim clips, dont worry, your not going to break it.

Name:	image4.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	659076Click image for larger version

Name:	image5.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	659077
when i installed the bracket back in, i did one side at a time. Not really necessary but in the dark, i didnt want to lose screws.

Name:	image1 (1).JPG
Views:	389
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	659079
all in!
Old 10-17-2016, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Great write up and glad you got what you were looking for.

R/
Will

Quick Reply: My sPOD experience