Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Navigation options

Old 01-30-2016, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation options

Hey guys so I would like to swap out my head unit in my jk. It's a 2015 with the alpine system and sub in the rear. The HU is the basic one with Sirius

I'd like to keep Sirius and steering wheel controls but gain Bluetooth a USB port navigation and a rear view camera down the line.

What are my options for swapping out factory head units with other year units?

And crutch field states most of the radios are a modified fit but they don't explain much further

I'd like to also hear opinions regarding factory head unit or aftermarket in regards to keeping all options working. Install. Cost. Etc

2015 JKUR, Anvil, 3.5" AEV, 35x12.5R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers, Bestop Trektop Pro, TruckLites, Poison Spyder Stubby, Smittybilt 12.5 XRC, Red Prolink, EVO rear bumper cover, Banks CAI & Cat Back,
Old 01-30-2016, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

X2...also interested in all this info....bump
Old 02-02-2016, 08:24 PM
JK Newbie

I went with the Pioneer 4100 NEX which has Android Auto and Apple Carplay... Reasonable easy install - needed to remove the upper portion of the brace at the back because the new head unit was bigger than the factory unit... the guys at Crutchfield were great and got me all the pieces I needed
Very happy with it
Old 02-04-2016, 02:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I went a different route. I got the 130 with hardrive and touchscreen. I can add reverse camera etc. And then I got the rugged ridge dash mount, a lepan mini tablet running topo and street nav. Plus, I have full diagnostics, IR camera being hooked up soon for nighttime animal spotting and more. Just a thought on how I have it done in my rig for expedition style trips.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm doing this now. I initially went with the RBZ unit which is not Nav and I quickly upgraded to the RHB. The RHR is also an option. I went to this site for help:

http://www.oemautopartsco.com/collec...-jeep-wrangler

The manager Thyler is VERY helpful. You may need to purchase the U Connect module separately to get the hands free and other features.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Kojack;4184323]I went a different route. I got the 130 with hardrive and touchscreen. I can add reverse camera etc. And then I got the rugged ridge dash mount, a lepan mini tablet running topo and street nav. Plus, I have full diagnostics, IR camera being hooked up soon for nighttime animal spotting and more. Just a thought on how I have it done in my rig for expedition style trips.[/QUOTE

Kojack...what setup did you go with?...I have the 130 setup and it def doesn't have touchscreen...also how did you get diagnostics...your setup sounds awesome,just trying to get my head around it
Old 02-07-2016, 01:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=sparky98;4184522]
Originally Posted by Kojack
I went a different route. I got the 130 with hardrive and touchscreen. I can add reverse camera etc. And then I got the rugged ridge dash mount, a lepan mini tablet running topo and street nav. Plus, I have full diagnostics, IR camera being hooked up soon for nighttime animal spotting and more. Just a thought on how I have it done in my rig for expedition style trips.[/QUOTE

Kojack...what setup did you go with?...I have the 130 setup and it def doesn't have touchscreen...also how did you get diagnostics...your setup sounds awesome,just trying to get my head around it
Sorry, I had the 130 originally. I have the mygig without nav. I use a lepan mini mounted on my dash in a rugged ridge dash cam/gps mount. The lepan mini is an android based 8" tablet. I use Canada topo , backcountry nav, and a few others for TOPO duties and co pilot for Nav duties and torque pro for diagnostics and what not. Its a great setup. The tablet has a gps radio built in but I use a Bluetooth GPS module from ebay to save battery if I need it.

All in all, its a great setup and having my tablet tethered off my phone, I can get weather radar, etc right on my dash. unless I am out of service, but all nav options work off the grid.

I am switching to a windows based tablet in the near future. They have all the apps I need now, and I love windows based systems as everything I own is Microsoft now
Old 02-21-2016, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Kojack;4185182]
Originally Posted by sparky98

Sorry, I had the 130 originally. I have the mygig without nav. I use a lepan mini mounted on my dash in a rugged ridge dash cam/gps mount. The lepan mini is an android based 8" tablet. I use Canada topo , backcountry nav, and a few others for TOPO duties and co pilot for Nav duties and torque pro for diagnostics and what not. Its a great setup. The tablet has a gps radio built in but I use a Bluetooth GPS module from ebay to save battery if I need it.

All in all, its a great setup and having my tablet tethered off my phone, I can get weather radar, etc right on my dash. unless I am out of service, but all nav options work off the grid.

I am switching to a windows based tablet in the near future. They have all the apps I need now, and I love windows based systems as everything I own is Microsoft now
Thanks for the info...it sounds like a great setup..I'm an android guy,so it sounds like it would be right up my alley

Quick Reply: Navigation options