Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Need better battery? Recommendations?

Old 01-12-2014, 08:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need better battery? Recommendations?

I need to upgrade my battery as it did not pass the test from an auto shop. I have a 2008 wrangler jku. I have heavy duty sound material, and lots of led lighting going on this week. What battery do you recommend I purchase? Thanks.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The arctic blast this past week finally killed the battery in my '09. It barely turned over this morning. Going on Monday to pick up a Sears DieHard platinum. I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dcharge74
The arctic blast this past week finally killed the battery in my '09. It barely turned over this morning. Going on Monday to pick up a Sears DieHard platinum. I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Thanks, I'm gonna check out those.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Yes I have one, they are diesel!! They are basically an oddysey but a bit cheaper and with a better warranty. I run alot of accessories and a high power stereo and never had an issue and sometimes I even play my stereo system without the jeep running. They are the best value in deep cycle batteries as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I replaced my stock battery less then a year after I bought my 09, with a set of Odyssey's. That has been a few years ago now, and they have performed flawlessly, regardless of the weather. I don't think they make a better battery, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. I know they are pricey, but Sears batteries are unavailable here in the north, and at the rate Sears is declining these days, I am not sure they will outlast a battery warranty!
Old 01-12-2014, 08:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Although sears is in decline, I still think they have enough segments that alone could be broken off into divisions that would be successful like Craftsman and Diehard so I wouldn't worry too much about the warranty. Sears should still be around for awhile.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:55 AM
JK Freak

a lot of the batteries that are out on the market like sears, autocraft, everstart are made in the same factory. johnson controls? down in delaware i believe. just food for thought.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just threw an Optima Yellowtop in mine a few weeks ago. Sent it through the rigors last weekend as I had to winch myself out of some Louisiana gumbo mud about 15 times! It held a great charge the entire time, and kept on chugging! I run a sub/amp and several LED lights as well.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:27 AM
JK Super Freak

The battery in my '08 kicked the bucket the first cold blast we had in the East here this past Oct and I replaced it with an Optima red top. No complaints so far....other than the price.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepDude90
a lot of the batteries that are out on the market like sears, autocraft, everstart are made in the same factory. johnson controls? down in delaware i believe. just food for thought.
The Sears DieHard Platinum, just like the Odyssey is manufactured by EnerSys Corp, not Johnson Controls.

Quick Reply: Need better battery? Recommendations?