Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Need rear view camera suggestions

Old 09-30-2014, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need rear view camera suggestions

I have been towing a small trailer behind my jeep weekly and i'd like to install a rear view camera so that i can keep an eye on the cargo. Currently i cant see the trailer from any of my mirrors unless i am making a turn. Obviously i want to be able to turn the camera on and off at my discretion, not just when i am in reverse.
I have a 2010 Sahara, my stereo does not have a video screen.
It seems i have 2 options
A) A new head unit with a video screen
B) A stand alone camera/ screen

If it is a standalone setup, i would like it be discreet or at elast easy to hide.

Any suggestions? models to look for/ avoid?

If i go with a new head unit, is that going to be a problem with the rest of my factory system ( it has the infinity system with the sub)

Thanks !

Last edited by zedteamk2; 09-30-2014 at 07:20 AM. Reason: typos
Old 09-30-2014, 03:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a quick google search for back up cameras. There are some that can be viewed on smartphone with app. Sorry for the vague info. it's been a while since I was looking at them.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the reply.
I have certainly found plenty of options, i was hoping a few people here might of done this already and could recommend a certain set up.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Boyo makes a nice kit that replaces the stock mirror. It comes with one camera but has the option to run 2 cameras. The kit is about $120 on amazon. You also can buy the mirror separate and pick a camera that fits your needs better. I have installed a couple of these and they are great only issue they can be hard to see in the sun.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

I just install a rear view mirror with a small screen built in. The camera is mounted in the center cap on the spare. I wired it so I can turn it on at will not just in reverse. Works great so far. The mirror also has a second input if you want to add a forward facing camera. I was worried about someone stealing the mirror, but honestly you can't really tell there is a screen built in. It's pretty stealthy. I can post picks tomorrow.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

you could get a monitor that clips onto the rear view mirror, several different makes and sizes but here's one similar to what I have

10 2'' TFT LCD Car Rearview Mirror Touch Button Monitor 800 x 234 Resolution | eBay

run the wires up in the trim on the windshield and just clip the mirror on / plug in when you need it, and remove it later if you want. I leave mine on full time since I can't see out my back window due to my 37" spare.

the camera you use depends on your budget. several on Amazon and eBay for $15-20 that would work just fine, but most are 160-170 degree, which is great for wide angle viewing, but something with a more narrow viewing angle may be better so you get better visibility further back. I found a 120 degree camera which works pretty well for the monitor working as a rear view mirror substitute. I'd suggest getting an Amazon or eBay cheap-o to see how you like it, as some of the more narrow-angled ones can be more expensive.

you have a few options for power. One is to power it off an accessory-power wire somewhere. Another is to wire up a small switch somewhere to turn the power on/off. Happy to give you a few ideas on how to do that if interested.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

My setup, fold down screen independently switched so can use for recoveries etc

Waterproof camera mounted in stock bumper

Quick Reply: Need rear view camera suggestions