Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New speakers sound Terrible!!

Old 05-23-2015, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New speakers sound Terrible!!

So i think today has probably been the most frustrating day I've ever had in regards to working on my jeep. I've got an 07 JKU with the infinity system. I've already removed the sub, added pioneer H/U, JL 2 channel amp, JL sub. I've loved my sound, but after the years i simply cannot turn it up anymore without bad noises. front speakers were blown somehow, music just sounded like crap. I went out today to the stereo shop and picked up the Alpine sps-610c speakers for the front and the matching pair for the sound bar.. after hours of cursing, screaming, more cursing and begging wife for a stiff drink, i finally got everything hooked up. The fronts came with some weird coil pack deal with i assumed is the cross over so i tossed it. Hooked up the tweeters to the same wires, fronts to same wires.. same in rear. Should be a simple task of just splicing some wires. After the fact i learned i could of bought nice connectors to make everything easy but instead i just had to splice all my wires. I turn the truck on and all i get is nasty disgusting sound.. The tweeters appear to be working correctly and the rears appear to be working.. The rear speakers are a night/day difference. The front speakers are so distorted and sound absolutely terrible. There's nothing i can do on my H/U to get the system sounding good. Regardless what the base settings are in the H/U i always get distortion and popping whenever base hits. Obviously something isn't right and i simply don't know where to look. To my understanding, the infinity amp should be plenty for what i want. Of course i could always use more but that's not in the immediate budget. Thanks for any support.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure the wires are crossed in front
Old 05-24-2015, 06:23 AM
JK Freak

That "coil thing" is your crossover and you need that or both your woofer and tweeter are getting the same signal. You will likely blow your tweeters without it.

Also where is your 2 channel amp, is that connected to the front or rear speakers? You have 4 channels but are using a 2 channel amp, I can't figure out how? Or are you bridging that for your sub?

If you are using the JL amp in the front where are your gains set? If they are at 100% then you may be hearing distortion. If that is the case, then you WILL blow the front speakers.

Worse yet, are you still using the factory infinity amp? If so, it is garbage and probably has bad front channels or it is not connected to the component speakers correctly (ie your lack of crossover)

Just tell us a little more specifically about what models numbers your equipment is and how you have it all connected.

Good luck, this is supposed to be fun.

Last edited by Mattk11; 05-24-2015 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mattk11
That "coil thing" is your crossover and you need that or both your woofer and tweeter are getting the same signal. You will likely blow your tweeters without it.

Also where is your 2 channel amp, is that connected to the front or rear speakers? You have 4 channels but are using a 2 channel amp, I can't figure out how? Or are you bridging that for your sub?

If you are using the JL amp in the front where are your gains set? If they are at 100% then you may be hearing distortion. If that is the case, then you WILL blow the front speakers.

Worse yet, are you still using the factory infinity amp? If so, it is garbage and probably has bad front channels or it is not connected to the component speakers correctly (ie your lack of crossover)

Just tell us a little more specifically about what models numbers your equipment is and how you have it all connected.

Good luck, this is supposed to be fun.
Multiple sources have said to discard the crossovers that came with the new speakers. The factory infinity amp already has a built in digital crossover that handles everything. Added the alpine crossover inline with the factory amp will lower the power even more.. Am i 100% sure? Of course not, but from other threads, 9 times out of 10, they said not to use them if you have the infinity system.

As for my JL equiptment, that is all in the back for the 12in sub. preouts from HU to amp to sub. Shouldn't have any bearing on the speakers at all.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:38 PM
JK Freak

I upgraded my 2010 jku sahara infinity system to all aftermarket. I was told by the audio installers that the infinity amp can't be combined with other aftermarket components. Something about the infinity system being programmed to only work with it's stock components. I could be wrong, but just throwing that out there.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:54 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by blownmtr
Multiple sources have said to discard the crossovers that came with the new speakers. The factory infinity amp already has a built in digital crossover that handles everything. Added the alpine crossover inline with the factory amp will lower the power even more.. Am i 100% sure? Of course not, but from other threads, 9 times out of 10, they said not to use them if you have the infinity system. As for my JL equiptment, that is all in the back for the 12in sub. preouts from HU to amp to sub. Shouldn't have any bearing on the speakers at all.
No the Infinity amp does not have a crossover for the front speakers. It send a full range signal to the 6 1/2" speaker in your dash and the tweeter is powered by the head unit and the stock tweeter has a cap on it that cut the bass frequencies (not ver well which is why they sound dull). The rear speaker have some EQ to cut bass frequencies and the sun has a low pass filter built into the amp.

In your set-up there is nothing cutting the low frequencies from your tweeter so it is either damaged or is trying to play frequencies below what it is capable of. Also, you are running 4ohm speakers with an amp that is 2ohm so it is a mismatch. You are cutting your power in half and probably distorting the hell out of it.

Get rid of the piece of crap stock Infinity amp and buy an aftermarket amp. There are a couple choices that sound great and aren't too expensive including 4 channel amps from JL.

Last edited by Mattk11; 05-24-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mattk11
No the Infinity amp does not have a crossover for the front speakers. It send a full range signal to the 6 1/2" speaker in your dash and the tweeter is powered by the head unit and the stock tweeter has a cap on it that cut the bass frequencies (not ver well which is why they sound dull). The rear speaker have some EQ to cut bass frequencies and the sun has a low pass filter built into the amp.

In your set-up there is nothing cutting the low frequencies from your tweeter so it is either damaged or is trying to play frequencies below what it is capable of. Also, you are running 4ohm speakers with an amp that is 2ohm so it is a mismatch. You are cutting your power in half and probably distorting the hell out of it.

Get rid of the piece of crap stock Infinity amp and buy an aftermarket amp. There are a couple choices that sound great and aren't too expensive including 4 channel amps from JL.
That's probably the most informed information i've found so far. Thanks. One question though, is in regards to the tweeters.. They sound great, its the dash speakers that sound bad. Either way, your info makes perfect sense and if i wasn't driving across the country in 3 days, i would certainly replace the amp. As of today, i punched some holes into the stock infinity dash enclosures which made a hell of a difference. When i tweaked everything i was using music off my phone. Later, i jumped over the XM radio and my ears started to bleed. Sounded terrible again.. Back to phone and its all good. I guess tomorrow I'll try to see if i can get those cross overs installed without too much effort. Thanks for advice again.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:31 AM
JK Freak

There's part of your problem. Sirius/XM sounds horrible. It's a compressed signal and sound about as good as AM radio. You will get much better sound from your phone, a CD or even FM radio.

Punching holes in the pods wasn't the direction I would have suggested but if it sounds good to you for now, it's too late.

When you get around to getting and amp, you will probably want to plug up those holes and go back to a sealed enclosure. Line the pods with dynamat to deaden them and stuff with polyfill. It should help quite a bit.

Good luck in your trek.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

since the signal to the mid/bass in the front is full range and amplified, try using that to the crossovers and split out to the tweeters and mid/bass drivers.

drilling your speaker pods made them into ported enclosures. It adds bass if done properly, but you'll have to read up on it. The volume of your enclosure, driver size and diameter and length of port need to be matched up to get it right. Speakers can be designed to work in open, sealed or ported enclosures.

Replacing the infinity amp is complicated and you will lose fading and other control from your radio. I disagree that the Infinity amp is crap, it's just built specifically for your jeep and the stock speakers.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by crosstowne
since the signal to the mid/bass in the front is full range and amplified, try using that to the crossovers and split out to the tweeters and mid/bass drivers.

He threw away the crossovers so this won't work.

drilling your speaker pods made them into ported enclosures. It adds bass if done properly, but you'll have to read up on it. The volume of your enclosure, driver size and diameter and length of port need to be matched up to get it right. Speakers can be designed to work in open, sealed or ported enclosures.

The speaker pods in the Jeep are too small to make ported enclosures. Typically a ported enclosure is larger than a sealed enclosure when comparing with with the same speaker.

Replacing the infinity amp is complicated and you will lose fading and other control from your radio. I disagree that the Infinity amp is crap, it's just built specifically for your jeep and the stock speakers.
Its simple for him, he has an aftermarket pioneer head unit. Simply run RCAs to from and back inputs, run new speaker wire to the 4 speaker locations or tap into the existing wiring and he is good to go. He will not lose fading or tone control. And yes, the infinity amp is crap for his application (and it can be argued it stinks for a "premium" sound system) It maybe does 14 watts per channel RMS at 2 ohms and has some horrible EQ especially for the rear speakers where is cuts bass output. The tweeters don't even run through the infinity amp. He is using 4 ohm speakers so that amp is doing 7 watts per channel RMS. Not a good choice for what HE is doing.

Quick Reply: New speakers sound Terrible!!