Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

OBD-II Wifi with Android Tablet?

Old 12-14-2013, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Ok, I just installed Torque Pro on my Android Tablet and it won't connect to the V-Gate OBD-II adapter via Wifi.

It seems as though if I want to get this to work, I need to "root" the tablet.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you found any solutions for the tablet and the wifi obd adapter?

Just wondering if you found any solutions? im in the same situation trying to make it work, I bought a car dvd player with android and i wanna connect it to the adapter, I bought a bluetooth OBD2 and works perfect on my smartphone but it won't work on the car dvd, then I bought a usb OBD 2 and try it with not luck, it just won't detect the adapter, and my last option is the wifi adapter, i bought one and when i get it I will try and see if works, the car dvd is ICS 4.0.4 and i haven't find any way to root it, if you find a solution let us know, if I find one I will post it too.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:45 AM
JK Junkie

Rooting isn't tough on the big name devices but can take s little more work on the lower end tablets. The Samsung tabs literally get plugged in, press "go" and it's done. Xda-dev is a good place for root info if you haven't already looked there for it. Rooting is quite simple and once you get that far then everything else should be cake for you.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

Default i found some info that may help

I found in torque website about the obd 2 vgate that may work,Bluetooth Adapters Blackberry - Torque OBD2 Wiki
It says this should work, looking on internet and ebay i found a lot of similar ones but you have to find the right one, i think is the same you bought but u said it didnt work i will buy one and try it to see if works in my car dvd
Old 01-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by deocjkforum
I found in torque website about the obd 2 vgate that may work,Bluetooth Adapters Blackberry - Torque OBD2 Wiki
It says this should work, looking on internet and ebay i found a lot of similar ones but you have to find the right one, i think is the same you bought but u said it didnt work i will buy one and try it to see if works in my car dvd
Sorry, I haven't updated in awhile. Work and the holidays have kept me pretty busy. I've also posted in the Torque forums and the Admins pointed me to the same link you posted. They basically told me, it "should" work as long as the Android tablet can connect to the adapter via Wifi. Well, the tablet does connect to the adabpter via wifi, but for some reason Torque Pro just doesn't seem to be getting any data.

I'm going to give this a few more attempts without rooting. From what the Torque developers said, I shouldn't need to root with this adapter. So, I'm not sure if there's a problem with the adapter or the torque app, or the tablet.

The good part is that since the adapter is wifi, I could also try it out with my iPhone and see if I can get an OBD2 app to work on the iPhone with this adapter. Looking like I may have to do that, to reduce the variables as to why it is not working with my Azpen Android tablet.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

You know, we're talking Android tablets here. With the price of a Nexus 7, geeze guys, how cheap of a solution do you want? Come on, I can get a 2012 Nexus 7 (which I prefer to the 2013 model) for WELL under $200. For everything in addition to the Torque Pro app that it gives you (music, topo mapping, document and image storage, highway navigation, etc), I think it's well-worth the money spent. I mean, you've really been fussing with this for quite a while and time spent on dead ends does have a cost.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
You know, we're talking Android tablets here. With the price of a Nexus 7, geeze guys, how cheap of a solution do you want? Come on, I can get a 2012 Nexus 7 (which I prefer to the 2013 model) for WELL under $200. For everything in addition to the Torque Pro app that it gives you (music, topo mapping, document and image storage, highway navigation, etc), I think it's well-worth the money spent. I mean, you've really been fussing with this for quite a while and time spent on dead ends does have a cost.
You make a good point about the time spent. In all honesty, I know I started this post awhile back, but I haven't really been able to spend much time with it.

If I bought a Nexus 7, it would be used strictly for Torque Pro and then I would need to also turn around and purchase a Blue Tooth OBD2 adapter. So yeah, that makes it not worth it for me with the $200 plus another $50 for another adapter. I just bought an ASUS Transformer T100.....A Windows 8.1 tablet. It has BT, Wifi...the works. So on that front, when the Torque Pro app guys decide to expand into the Windows OS or Apple iOS I'm ready. I'm just not looking to invest that much money into an Android OS device. Instead I got this guy for $299 in a Black Friday sale which for my needs was a much better investment than an Android OS Nexus 7.

Also, there is a program called "Blue Stacks" made for Windows, where it runs an Android OS on top of a Windows OS. So I could give that a try also and install Torque Pro on my Windows Tablet and see if I can get Torque Pro to work on my Windows Tablet.

I may have to look at using another app besides Torque Pro. I have all the pieces for a Windows solution as well as an iOS solution. If I can get this $40 Android Azpen Tablet to work with this VGate wifi adapter, then I should have a lot of options I could also use, be it Torque, or some other programs.

Since this Azpen tablet is only $40, there already seems to be some interest where people are rooting it and I won't be too concerned with having to root a $40 tablet.

Azpen A700 root discussion:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2532464

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-04-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Well darn it all....I finally had some time today and I got it to work!!!

No rooting necessary!!!

What happened was the 1st time it didn't work, I went into the Android's Wifi settings when it was connected to the OBD2 device and noted it showed the IP Address as 192.168.1.11.

So then I configured in the Torque app, the Wifi setting IP Address to be the same (ie 192.168.1.11). I guess I figured if it didn't work the 1st time with different IP addresses when I 1st tried it, then I had to make the IP addresses the same. In other words Android Device Wifi Address IP=192.168.1.11, then I needed to tell Torque this was the IP address.

So now to get it to work, I went and set the IP Address setting for the OBD2 device in Torque to 192.168.1.10, and Port 35000. I then went to the Android Wifi connection and re-established the Wifi connection with the OBD2 wifi adapter where it again showed IP Adress 192.168.1.11 when connected to the device via wifi. I then re-launched Torque and it connected right up and started working.

I'll post a write up!!! My $40 Android device now works with Torque Pro via Wifi!!!

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-04-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:54 PM
JK Newbie

Smile Im glad it works

i havent received mine but now im almost %100 sure it will work with my car dvd, I dont really understand why these chinese guys don't install bluetooth devices on tablets with android, it's really difficult to find cheap tablets with bluetooth built in, the worst thing is most have android 4.0.x and i don't know why google disable wifi ad-hoc on android 4.0 this make it even more difficult to connect with other devices, but at least i found a solution thanks to the vgate device you mention on your post, after looking for hours on google i found this forum, now im just waiting for the device to arrive.
Thanks
Old 01-16-2014, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

If anyone is interested I just finished posting a Write-Up on how to get this up and running.

Link:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...quired-294547/

Also posted in my signature.

Quick Reply: OBD-II Wifi with Android Tablet?