Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

OEM Radio - Aux hummmmmm elimination

Old 04-03-2014, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Radio - Aux hummmmmm elimination

I'm sure just about everyone gets that annoying humm or high pitched whine while using the Aux-in to play audio. Usually it is worse when you have something drawing power from either of the 12V outlets.

I'm hoping to have some help to eliminate this! I was just going to use a ground loop isolator, but I have read that it can flatten out the bass in the speakers. Another fix would be to have the ground wire properly ran to bolt onto a piece of frame. Does anyone have any experience doing this with a stock JK radio? I don't even know if this is possible with not too much pain. Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stereo_Install_01.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	542977
Old 04-04-2014, 07:35 AM
JK Newbie

Bump bump
Old 04-05-2014, 04:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have never experienced any hum. Is your aux cable good quality?
Old 04-05-2014, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know exactly what your talking about. Really noticeable when I charge my phone & have the aux cable plugged in. I have no clue on the fix for it sorry.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:56 PM
JK Freak

I know that when wiring an amplifier that a no-no is running RCA cables near the power wire due to interference. Could it be that your aux wire is close to a power wire / charger or the quality of your aux cable is poor. I know that some aux cables are better than others. I have a monster-audio cable with gold plugs and have no hum. Im just throwin out that theory...I got nothin else
Old 04-06-2014, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

I've experienced this problem too, and it drove me insane whenever my phone would lose signal and I'd be stuck with it unexpectedly. I also noticed the issue with the 12v outlets making the noise more intense. I did find that my headlights also affected it. It never went away until I replaced my stock unit with a new one. Unfortunately I traded that issue for one more annoying (and puzzling), the volume spikes randomly and somewhat frequently. It does it when the jeep is still, moving, running, off, there seems to be no "trigger" like hitting a bump or having the fogs on or anything related at all. I'm at a loss. Good luck on figuring out the hum if you haven't yet.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

I'm quite certain that the interference can be fixed from 1 of 2 ways. 1) Properly grounding the stereo to the frame OR 2) Use a simple ground loop insulator to cancel the interference. The problem with option #2 is that the ground loop insulator can kill your bass a bit. I was hoping that someone might have some experience with option #1 because I don't! haha

I didn't have any time this weekend to try to play around with the grounding. Hopefully I will get to it soon
Old 04-18-2014, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Snakevenom85
I've experienced this problem too, and it drove me insane whenever my phone would lose signal and I'd be stuck with it unexpectedly. I also noticed the issue with the 12v outlets making the noise more intense. I did find that my headlights also affected it. It never went away until I replaced my stock unit with a new one. Unfortunately I traded that issue for one more annoying (and puzzling), the volume spikes randomly and somewhat frequently. It does it when the jeep is still, moving, running, off, there seems to be no "trigger" like hitting a bump or having the fogs on or anything related at all. I'm at a loss. Good luck on figuring out the hum if you haven't yet.
I just noticed the headlight interference when I got to work right now. I never noticed that one before.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:23 AM
JK Junkie

Mine inly does it when the headlights are on. Although can't hear it when I have the volume up so it doesn't bother me.

Issue that is annoying though is a couple mins after jeep is started I get this high pitched beeeeeeep. It's not very loud but it's enough to bother your ears. Goes say after about a min or 2

Quick Reply: OEM Radio - Aux hummmmmm elimination