Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Opinions on Lighting?

Old 03-11-2015, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Lighting?

To start off, I have the Barricade roof rack (same as Smittybilts) for my 2 door. For those unfamiliar it has 4 light tabs across the front and 2 on the rear. Just curious on opinions for what lighting to do. I think I'm gonna go with 2 flood LED pods on the rear to use as back up lights. I'm debating on round lights or LEDs for the front. Such as...
-4 light pods
-4 small light bars
-1 big light bar with adjustable mounts
-4 small round lights

I'm trying to keep the overall height down. Also I'm not looking for the most expensive lighting that gives the best results as it's overkill for my needs. I want it partially for the looks and just for some extra light when needed. Here's a picture of the rack for reference!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3487758686.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	600770  
Old 03-11-2015, 04:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the old school round lights...have them on my pillars. But I think that rack would look better (more updated) with the square pods. I would be careful about using the rear uppers for back-up lights though. They're pretty high and would blind anyone behind you if you had to back up, whether in the city or on the trail. I think I would go with floods back there for camping and use smaller pods down low for back-ups.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with 14sport. I've got a couple of little led,s on my bumper for reverse but I'd rock a couple of round ones top rear for camping and such. And round lights up front would look solid!
Old 03-11-2015, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input guys! By back up lights I do mean more of like trails and my driveway at night. I wouldn't be using them with the reverse lights as I'd run a separate switch. Camping is the other thing I want them for!
Old 03-11-2015, 05:37 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by scafootballpro5
Thanks for the input guys! By back up lights I do mean more of like trails and my driveway at night. I wouldn't be using them with the reverse lights as I'd run a separate switch. Camping is the other thing I want them for!
Then that sounds good.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe a look like this? 2 floods on the sides and spots in the middle? Just brainstorming...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4225117705.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	600798  
Old 03-12-2015, 01:59 AM
JK Junkie

That's how I would do it. And I would angle the floods out a little. Spots in the middle are good to prevent a lot of glare from the hood.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:40 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by scafootballpro5
To start off, I have the Barricade roof rack (same as Smittybilts) for my 2 door. For those unfamiliar it has 4 light tabs across the front and 2 on the rear. Just curious on opinions for what lighting to do. I think I'm gonna go with 2 flood LED pods on the rear to use as back up lights. I'm debating on round lights or LEDs for the front. Such as...
-4 light pods
-4 small light bars
-1 big light bar with adjustable mounts
-4 small round lights

I'm trying to keep the overall height down. Also I'm not looking for the most expensive lighting that gives the best results as it's overkill for my needs. I want it partially for the looks and just for some extra light when needed. Here's a picture of the rack for reference!
If you need a quote on some more lights let me know!

Personally I think you could go with the pods in the front (we have several different pod styles) and then some round or square floodlights for the back to light up the whole area behind the Jeep.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:00 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Round lights up top are going to be pretty tall. I do like the traditional look, but that is highly subjective. Since repositioning mine from midway back the roofline to even with the windshield when I added the MBRP front rack extension, they do light the hood. However, bear in mind what they really are for:
  • Lighting up the campsite such as upon arrival and setting up the tent, etc.
  • River fording at night when all of your other lights are underwater (and, if you haven't let them cool off, perhaps cracking).

Old 03-14-2015, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Round lights up top are going to be pretty tall. I do like the traditional look, but that is highly subjective. Since repositioning mine from midway back the roofline to even with the windshield when I added the MBRP front rack extension, they do light the hood. However, bear in mind what they really are for:[*]Lighting up the campsite such as upon arrival and setting up the tent, etc.[*]River fording at night when all of your other lights are underwater (and, if you haven't let them cool off, perhaps cracking).
I must admit your Jeep is one of my favorite on the forum! I may go with some smaller round lights..gives it the more traditional overland look

Quick Reply: Opinions on Lighting?