Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Opinions on Lighting?

Old 03-15-2015, 12:12 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by scafootballpro5
I must admit your Jeep is one of my favorite on the forum! I may go with some smaller round lights..gives it the more traditional overland look
Thanks! And, yes, traditional overlanding appearance is the primary reason I went with round lights over an LED light bar (not that LED light bars were available for less than a couple thousand dollars back when I was building my Jeep in 2007-8). For reference, those are the KC Slimlites 130 watt long range. I power them through an sPOD, which requires two switch circuits, and a fair amount of heavy wire, which is hidden inside the overhead rack front support. Of course, if you went with LEDs, they draw far less power, which makes the install a bit easier.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You could run what I do. Hella 500 driving beam housings with 55w HID in them. Get double the output of 130 hella bulbs for half the draw. I run two on the front of my rig and are enough light for anything I want. I am putting the same setup on my avalanche as well.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was considering the HID in a cheap housing idea. What would you guys think size wise for lights? Like a 5" round?
Old 03-17-2015, 11:37 AM
Former Vendor

To start off, I have the Barricade roof rack (same as Smittybilts) for my 2 door. For those unfamiliar it has 4 light tabs across the front and 2 on the rear. Just curious on opinions for what lighting to do. I think I'm gonna go with 2 flood LED pods on the rear to use as back up lights. I'm debating on round lights or LEDs for the front. Such as...
-4 light pods
-4 small light bars
-1 big light bar with adjustable mounts
-4 small round lights

I'm trying to keep the overall height down. Also I'm not looking for the most expensive lighting that gives the best results as it's overkill for my needs. I want it partially for the looks and just for some extra light when needed. Here's a picture of the rack for reference!
When I read that you wanted to keep the height down I was thinking LED. They're generally smaller for the same light output and will definitely keep you lower. But if you like the overland look then round halogen is a great option. I love my KC Hilites Slimlite Long Range lights.

Let me know what you decide and I'd be happy to get you a quote on some lighting for your rig!

-Ryan
Old 03-17-2015, 11:58 AM
JK Freak

Round definitely matches the styling of the Jeep better, but I am amazed at the amount of light my 10" rigid driving E2 light bar puts out. I find I don't need more light than that on the trails except for the very edges which it just doesn't have a wide enough light pattern to get without having two side lights pointed out at an angle. The 10" bar drowns out my JW 8700 Evo2 headlights completely, so I put them on high beam to get some extra distance light

Rigid is making a round LED (7" I believe) now.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks again for the opinions guys! I'm looking into round LED lights now to still get the look, but with the lower draw and better efficiency of leds.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:22 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks again for the opinions guys! I'm looking into round LED lights now to still get the look, but with the lower draw and better efficiency of leds.
The Hella 500s I run are 6". 55w HID installed in them, total is less than 200 bucks, and you get a shit load of light wide and far! I have used ALOT of different lighting and this is the best light per dollar. I had 130w halogens in my 500s before the HID switch over, and the HID is easily twice as bright as the 130w halogen. Others will disagree, however, I know what I have seen with my own eyes.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:26 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by spicoli
Round definitely matches the styling of the Jeep better, but I am amazed at the amount of light my 10" rigid driving E2 light bar puts out. I find I don't need more light than that on the trails except for the very edges which it just doesn't have a wide enough light pattern to get without having two side lights pointed out at an angle. The 10" bar drowns out my JW 8700 Evo2 headlights completely, so I put them on high beam to get some extra distance light

Rigid is making a round LED (7" I believe) now.
This is the thing I Don't like about rigid etc, if your high beam in your JW goes farther out than your rigid bar, the light bar sucks. My HID easily goes 3 times the distance of my truck lite highbeam which are better than the JW.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Kojack

This is the thing I Don't like about rigid etc, if your high beam in your JW goes farther out than your rigid bar, the light bar sucks. My HID easily goes 3 times the distance of my truck lite highbeam which are better than the JW.
They do not go farther. My 2x4 spots destroy my HiDs and my d2s. And they are the cheapest lights i have on my jeep. Which are ridgid. People buy dually d2s thinking distance, they are wide range. The same goes for the light bars, you want range get hyperspot, it depends which bar you get that will determine the range and width. Now would i buy a ridgid? No but thats because i dont trust anyone. I had a ebay 50" less thrn a month and some prick stole it. Their is nothing better then ridgid. Its truth, they have the patent for the lights, which no one else is allowed to use. Which is what creates their distance. And on a second note if your high beams are going farther then your driving lights you most defitnately need to adjust your headlights. Lol, just my friendly 2 cents. Happy jeepin! ☺
Old 03-25-2015, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Honestly what I think I'm ending up doing is buying 100w 6" lights from Walmart for $9 a piece and throwing in some HIDs. All in all should cost less that $70!

Quick Reply: Opinions on Lighting?