Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Opinions on Lighting?

Old 03-26-2015, 03:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by scafootballpro5
Honestly what I think I'm ending up doing is buying 100w 6" lights from Walmart for $9 a piece and throwing in some HIDs. All in all should cost less that $70!
DO yourself a favor and get the hella housings. They work.

To the other person who thinks my HID lights do not go further than my high beams. you are on crack!
Old 03-26-2015, 03:47 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jp3792
They do not go farther. My 2x4 spots destroy my HiDs and my d2s. And they are the cheapest lights i have on my jeep. Which are ridgid. People buy dually d2s thinking distance, they are wide range. The same goes for the light bars, you want range get hyperspot, it depends which bar you get that will determine the range and width. Now would i buy a ridgid? No but thats because i dont trust anyone. I had a ebay 50" less thrn a month and some prick stole it. Their is nothing better then ridgid. Its truth, they have the patent for the lights, which no one else is allowed to use. Which is what creates their distance. And on a second note if your high beams are going farther then your driving lights you most defitnately need to adjust your headlights. Lol, just my friendly 2 cents. Happy jeepin! ☺
There are many lights that are better than rigid. Baja designs, vision x among others. There is nothing special about rigid except their price. I have seen 100 dollar ebay lights outperform rigids. I can guarantee my Hella HID goes farther than any LED light I have parked next too. ANY of them!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
This is the thing I Don't like about rigid etc, if your high beam in your JW goes farther out than your rigid bar, the light bar sucks. My HID easily goes 3 times the distance of my truck lite highbeam which are better than the JW.
It's a Driving light pattern, which is a flood pattern. It completely lights up the area in front of me, which I wanted, because where I live a spot doesn't help much. Most everyone knows JWs are bright and when I turn on my light bar my headlights disappear except for a little bit on the edge where my 2 headlights spray a little more light on the side than my center mounted 10" single lightbar. In Washington the vegetation is so lush and trails so tight that all you need is a flood. There are not a lot of areas where you need to light more than 100yards ahead of you. Also, the brights on JW EVO2 are like a rigid dually spots, they are bright just but not as bright as a set of rigid duallys would be. All I was saying is the 10" driving pattern E2 bar I have lights up the road plenty bright enough, it just doesn't cover the near edges as well as I want so I will end up getting a dually or something to point at 45* off to the side to cover edges at my bumper better. If I need further distance I put my brights on which have about a 500yard range of usable light, my estimate.

I agree, HID and large housing lights do shine a lot more light than rigids, but they draw more power, eat up a lot more space to get virtually the same light and have bulbs which eventually go out (granted it is a long life with HIDs). Vision X makes some good lights and I have seen how bright they are, but I'm not a fan of their beam patterns for the size of their light.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:22 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by spicoli
It's a Driving light pattern, which is a flood pattern. It completely lights up the area in front of me, which I wanted, because where I live a spot doesn't help much. Most everyone knows JWs are bright and when I turn on my light bar my headlights disappear except for a little bit on the edge where my 2 headlights spray a little more light on the side than my center mounted 10" single lightbar. In Washington the vegetation is so lush and trails so tight that all you need is a flood. There are not a lot of areas where you need to light more than 100yards ahead of you. Also, the brights on JW EVO2 are like a rigid dually spots, they are bright just but not as bright as a set of rigid duallys would be. All I was saying is the 10" driving pattern E2 bar I have lights up the road plenty bright enough, it just doesn't cover the near edges as well as I want so I will end up getting a dually or something to point at 45* off to the side to cover edges at my bumper better. If I need further distance I put my brights on which have about a 500yard range of usable light, my estimate.

I agree, HID and large housing lights do shine a lot more light than rigids, but they draw more power, eat up a lot more space to get virtually the same light and have bulbs which eventually go out (granted it is a long life with HIDs). Vision X makes some good lights and I have seen how bright they are, but I'm not a fan of their beam patterns for the size of their light.
If you want to play with symantics, My hellas are Driving lights as well. Spot lights are very narrow beams. I get a beam of light that covers 3 lanes of highway, down in both ditches and 1000 m up the road with useable light. all from a smallish 6" light. and with 110 watts of power. I call that a super win win win. Most of the 40" bars are double of the wattage of my lighting setup as well. Yes, the bulbs wear out, Im waiting for my new bulbs now, that's 6 years running them ALOT however, so that's not bad.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Lighting?