Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Optix 80W LED Headlight comparison (Photo Heavy)

Old 01-10-2017, 06:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Optix 80W LED Headlight comparison (Photo Heavy)

Hello,
I ordered LED headlights to install on my Lotus Excel, these 7" round lights will also Fit our Jeeps and I may just get another pair when I get back to the states for my JKU. The ones I bought appear to be identical to the TruckLite LED headlights only 70% cheaper!! I got the pair for $99 shipped. Ordered 29 DEC arrived at my Army Post office in Germany 6 JAN. THe box comes with harness adapters, but no additional circuitry to stabalize the power on the CanBus.

To find the product, try Searching: Optix 2x 7" Round 80W Philips LED Headlight Hi/Lo Beam Jeep Wrangler JK TJ LJ. I also noticed they are on Amazon, but a tad more vs/ the Bay but not much ($5). Make sure you get the type with a horizontal line through the lens, not some array of 1" LEDs!! These look just like the TruckLites except for the pigtail wires coming out the back, which almost seems like an improvement?

Feel free to skip over the install, I Copy and pasted this from my Lotus forum post, so it doesn't apply. You do get some closeups of the back side though. You'll find the end results with lots of Photos to compare light output. Once you see the before and after shots I think it's evident the light output is better then the Halogen Cibies that were on the car previously. These Halogens weren't particularly poor headlights and the HP bulbs were hardly used and newly installed in 2016, I just wanted to put LEDs on the car. Questions and comments welcome. I realize this isn't super helpful but it is a very cost-effective 'new product' that has little feedback and thought I'd get something going here. I return to my Jeep stateside in 6 months and will become more active again here I'm sure.

Writeup:
The lights came well packaged in stryofoam with a plastic protective sheet on the lens. Here is a side by side with the Cibie:

They are not as thick as the Cibie, but they are MUCH heavier. The body is cast aluminum. My lift motors have noticed this weight difference. They work, but you can here the difference in effort.

The bezel ring was a snug fit, these lights have a slightly wide diameter casing. The bezel had to be mildly pressed on which scratched the aluminum finish. Not a big deal, this is covered by the trim rings.

The one bezel was so tight that I had to employ pliers to get it on. I then realized i misaligned the clamps! So it came off (I was able to do this by hand) and it went back on again also by hand.

I did have to replace the clamp screws as they were too short. So stainless steel ones go on in their place you can see the difference in length on the right side.

The trim rings took a little sanding as well to shave a mil or 2 off so they fit without pressure. 220 Grit did the trick in about 2 minutes.

Final Product:

Okay, fine. But do they work!?!? I ensured the car and camera were in essentially the same spot for each photo. Each photo pair will be the before and after with the various beam Settings. I have my Dim Dip disabled, so I can't help you on that, sorry. In fact, These are U.S. Spec lights, so that might not even work??

BEFORE Halogen Cibies Low beam:
AFTER LED Low Beam

BEFORE Halogen Cibies Low Beam Outside:
AFTER LED

Before Halogen Cibies High Beam Outside:
After LED:

BEFORE On coming Traffic from a distance.
AFTER LED:

BEFORE Halogen Cibies Low Beam Outside On Coming traffic perspective closeup:
AFTER LED:

BEFORE Halogen Low Beam Offset

AFTER LED:

One of each comparison:
High viewing angle:
Low Viewing angle:

Quick Reply: Optix 80W LED Headlight comparison (Photo Heavy)