Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Overwhelmed with lighting options!

Old 08-25-2014, 06:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Overwhelmed with lighting options!

2013 JKUR. Rock Slide bumpers front and rear. The front bumper has two 6" round openings to replace the 4" stock fogs. The rear bumper has two openings for 4" round lights. I would also like some light on the winch fairlead mounting bracket that I have and would also like some on the A-pillars. My options are seemingly endless (if money were not an object). I don't know how the bumper lights are mounted to the bumper. That's issue #1. I guess there are ways to adapt square lights for the round opening.

Someone please give me options. Brands are great and best place to buy. I want all LED, no bulb lights. I have a decent budget, but not thousands $$. I would also like to add crawling lights while I'm at it. They're pretty cheap at $3 each I have read.

Here's the Jeep: Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubi on the rocks.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	572874

I'm sorry for the vaguery and thankful for the insight.

Jason
Old 08-25-2014, 11:07 AM
JK Freak

for round led lights your quality options are kinda limited, KC is releasing or maybe just released some 6" round leds that from the prices I have seen aren't too bad. another option is visionX light cannons but damn they are pricey. I have never personally owned either of these lights but I have seen the visionx's in person many times and they are crazy bright and have a lot of distance.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lights depend on the intended use. You may want to consider this --

If you want the extra lights for relatively slow offroading (and for camping), then wide light spread would be the most efficient.

I’d try and make all the lights -- front, rear & rock lights -- of the same light color.

Front –

The same offroad lights, when installed below or above the drivers’ eye level, behave quite differently.
Lights on the A pillars or lower, cast shadows and ‘hide’ some of the areas which are within the drivers’ view, while lights above eye level -- on a light bar -- illuminate everything that’s within sight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Below vs Above Line of Sight - Offroad.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	572909

Rear –

For covering the widest area, at what typically is short range, diffused lights would be the best choice.

Spots are efficient for longer range and fast speed.
At relatively slow speed offroading, they concentrate much light on a small part of the surrounding, and by doing so they reduce visibility outside the circle of light.

The best of all worlds, would be a mix of spots and floods, separately switched, on a lightbar.
For example:

Click image for larger version

Name:	## - Light Bar - Lights arrangement.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	572911

Last edited by GJeep; 08-26-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GJeep
Lights depend on the intended use. You may want to consider this --

If you want the extra lights for relatively slow offroading (and for camping), then wide light spread would be the most efficient.

I’d try and make all the lights -- front, rear & rock lights -- of the same light color.

Front –

The same offroad lights, when installed below or above the drivers’ eye level, behave quite differently.
Lights on the A pillars or lower, cast shadows and ‘hide’ some of the areas which are within the drivers’ view, while lights above eye level -- on a light bar -- illuminate everything that’s within sight.

Attachment 572909

Rear –

For covering the widest area, at what typically is short range, diffused lights would be the best choice.

Spots are efficient for longer range and fast speed.
At relatively slow speed offroading, they concentrate much light on a small part of the surrounding, and by doing so they reduce visibility outside the circle of light.

The best of all worlds, would be a mix of spots and floods, separately switched, on lightbar.
For example:

Attachment 572911
I've seen you post this on other threads and it makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2014, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Baddkarmaracing
for round led lights your quality options are kinda limited, KC is releasing or maybe just released some 6" round leds that from the prices I have seen aren't too bad. another option is visionX light cannons but damn they are pricey. I have never personally owned either of these lights but I have seen the visionx's in person many times and they are crazy bright and have a lot of distance.
Yes the vision X is crazy priced. I'm looking at Inspired Engineering lights. Pretty good bang for the buck if their any good. As for the 6" rounds. I may just fab a mount for some squares.Would like to get everything for under a grand.

Jason

Quick Reply: Overwhelmed with lighting options!