Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Passenger Airbag Replacement

Old 01-10-2017, 02:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Airbag Replacement

Hello,

Has anyone replaced a spent passenger airbag with melted connectors? The driver's side seems pretty straightforward with replacing the clockspring, but I'm wondering what the solution is for the passenger connectors, do you really have to replace the entire instrument display wiring harness to repair those melted clips?

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2017, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked to see if this is part of a recall. .?Reason I ask is bc I called to schedule my clock spring recall and they notified me of an additional decal involving something to do with the passenger side airbag. Mine is an 07 but might be worth looking into.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fultonromero12
Have you checked to see if this is part of a recall. .?Reason I ask is bc I called to schedule my clock spring recall and they notified me of an additional decal involving something to do with the passenger side airbag. Mine is an 07 but might be worth looking into.
Great idea, thanks. I should definitely call the dealership on this. Mine is a 2016 but we'll see. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2017, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

Anytime wires or connections for an airbag need replaced you have to replace the entire wire loom.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:55 PM
JK Super Freak

bringing back an old thread: Does anyone know the procedure for replacing the passenger side air bag? Today I have a hard rock bolt in cage and I'm guessing i might need to remove that before taking it in for the airbag replacement
Old 04-04-2017, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by orangedude71
bringing back an old thread: Does anyone know the procedure for replacing the passenger side air bag? Today I have a hard rock bolt in cage and I'm guessing i might need to remove that before taking it in for the airbag replacement
Hey, yes, take out the glove compartment by squeezing sides in, no bolt or screws, just compress the sides inward.

Two bolts, 8mm, I believe accessed from below through where the glove compartment was.

one additional bolt up by the windshield, pry little plastic cover away on dash to access.

Remove air bag door dash piece and you should be able to get it out. I replaced one a couple months back not too bad. Take off negative battery terminal to be safe
Old 04-04-2017, 09:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jk1789
Hey, yes, take out the glove compartment by squeezing sides in, no bolt or screws, just compress the sides inward.

Two bolts, 8mm, I believe accessed from below through where the glove compartment was.

one additional bolt up by the windshield, pry little plastic cover away on dash to access.

Remove air bag door dash piece and you should be able to get it out. I replaced one a couple months back not too bad. Take off negative battery terminal to be safe
I suspect the bolt up by the windshield will require me to remove the rock hard lower windshield bar. gonna go eyeball it later

Quick Reply: Passenger Airbag Replacement