Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Planning my total sound system upgrade..old school style!

Old 07-07-2013, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning my total sound system upgrade..

Hey guys and gals, this is going to be a different sort of stereo upgrade. Years ago I installed high end car stereo systems. I mainly did box building, fiberglass/lexan/ aluminum enclosures, and full wound wiring harness building. While I have not kept up with high end stereo equipment in at least 10 years, I have recently gotten the bug to re do my '07 Sahara's system. I'm planning a double din head unit and amp/ speaker replacement and subs under the rear seat since I don't fold it down ever. I was planning simple, but while talking with my wife about it last night, she said "well lets get that box of stereo equipment out of the attic." Box of stuff in the attic? WTF?

So up I go, and there it is. At least 15 years old, brand new in the box AudioControl stuff I had planned to put in my old Carerra. A Model 11 Center Channel processor/ amplifier, 2 EQL's half octave/ full octave eq's with level matching preamps, 2 each 2SX 18 db per octave active crossovers, and an Epicenter bass restoration processor. Also a crap load of Esoteric Audio gold plated fuse holders, distribution blocks, terminals, Monster patch cables and some rolls of 0 gauge and 4 gauge power and ground wire. I had totally forgotten about this stuff! Just bench tested everything, and all is GTG.

So now I am looking at this audio upgrade from a completely different perspective. I'm gonna see how much of this stuff I can shoe horn in to this thing. Why? 'cause I can and its here! Is an old school audiophile quality system overkill in a Jeep with no hard top (and 90% of the time, no soft top either)? Sure, but why not? Its free and its here!

So before I re invent the wheel here, has anybody built under the seat (front and or rear)speaker boxed and component racks? My goal is going to be sub boxes that can be easily removed if I am going anywhere wet, and component storage that provides ventilation, but can quickly have a cover installed to water proof it. Any ideas or experiences appreciated..

Now, to tear that dash apart and see where I can install a center channel speaker....

Last edited by Davesrb; 11-27-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:03 PM
JK Freak

I cant help much with what you are wanting but I will say that most of that old stuff especially around that time frame beats the crap out of today's junk.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DKJEEP
I cant help much with what you are wanting but I will say that most of that old stuff especially around that time frame beats the crap out of today's junk.
I agree with you there! Most of the stuff I have is still available from AudioControl with very few changes to the spec's or even dimensions! Except for the center channel processor. What I would't give to have my old System 90 amp's back! But they are no longer made....
Old 07-08-2013, 01:40 PM
JK Super Freak

I have been thinkin about how to incorporate a center channel. Everything I've ever heard with a center channel just seems to have soo much more volume and clarity. It's like the last puzzle piece. It fits in perfect and is nice for those 3-4" speakers. Give you a little mid/high range vocals. Let me know what you come up with. I've been wanting to mold one into the cubby on top of the radio with two neo 3-4" speakers.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bombout800
I have been thinkin about how to incorporate a center channel. Everything I've ever heard with a center channel just seems to have soo much more volume and clarity. It's like the last puzzle piece. It fits in perfect and is nice for those 3-4" speakers. Give you a little mid/high range vocals. Let me know what you come up with. I've been wanting to mold one into the cubby on top of the radio with two neo 3-4" speakers.
Do it! I want to watch!
Old 07-08-2013, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think some fiberglass work to create a slightly protruding, upward angled, speaker enclosure in the lower panel area in front of the shifter and I can shoehorn in a shallow 4 inch coax or 1/2 of a component set, or a 4x6 plate. I will probably need to do a little surgery on the change holder to get a good angle.

If not, I can really get involved and play with a WaveGuide BC-62 component set a buddy of mine never got around to installing. I've played with these compression loaded horn tweeters before. They are a bitch to integrate, but do provide an incredible front stage.

Last edited by Davesrb; 07-08-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Davesrb
I think some fiberglass work to create a slightly protruding, upward angled, speaker enclosure in the lower panel area in front of the shifter and I can shoehorn in a shallow 4 inch coax or 1/2 of a component set, or a 4x6 plate. I will probably need to do a little surgery on the change holder to get a good angle.

If not, I can really get involved and play with a WaveGuide BC-62 component set a buddy of mine never got around to installing. I've played with these compression loaded horn tweeters before. They are a bitch to integrate, but do provide an incredible front stage.
Personally I don't think that's a good spot for a center channel. But it never hurts to try. Your center channel is to be that. When down low its going to act like your front speakers.

When placed in their own area not in the same axis or Near location they provide this different sound. Take a listen to a car which has a center speaker(s). its a huge boost in volume. Take a speaker and aim it at your face Then direct it off glass or some super smooth surface. Play with the angle and have a listen. Sometimes the surface in which its directed will, I won't say amplify, but boost certain frequencies. Your ears will pick up the change in sound. Check out some sound quality vehicles, the placement of the speAkers are key. What you want to do is not only have a great enclosure for the back side of the speaker but also the front. Sounds stupid right??? Place a speaker at your face in no enclosure. Sounds okay. But drowned out. Put it In the right enclosure and a 5 dollar speaker can turn into a thing of beauty. When In your jeep your speakers aren't placed facing up. They are faced in a direction to which the sound has some sort of deflection. When you can find tune whether you like on axis(pointed at your) or off axis, the possibilities Are endless.

I'd say play with it. Make sure your have the right crossovers(passive) or amp that can run active to fully utilize the speaker in that location. Also get a few people to take a listen. Your thoughts while testing may be fine and you are happy. Put someone else in their and they make think it sounds terrible. Creating a new sound stage can be difficult to incorporate. But the best part is once you have the equipment it's game on. Don't give up it may take your a few times to get the sound you like. Post back your thoughts and build.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mattk11

Do it! I want to watch!
Man I would if I didn't have my mind on other things. Have a few ar builds happening parts here and there for the jk. I need about 2 grand to have what I want for my sound system. I want To plan and then take action not just buy this here and there. When i buy stereo stuff I wanna make sure my electrical is on point as well. Although I won't have much of a substage to draw a lot of power, I'd still like to hover around whatever my idle voltage is at all times, even at full tilt. Just wanna do it right. Hahah
Old 07-09-2013, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Flat panel center channel speaker install.

Center Channel Speaker Spectral Response measurement in JK:

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-09-2013 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bombout800
Personally I don't think that's a good spot for a center channel. But it never hurts to try. Your center channel is to be that. When down low its going to act like your front speakers.

When placed in their own area not in the same axis or Near location they provide this different sound. Take a listen to a car which has a center speaker(s). its a huge boost in volume. Take a speaker and aim it at your face Then direct it off glass or some super smooth surface. Play with the angle and have a listen. Sometimes the surface in which its directed will, I won't say amplify, but boost certain frequencies. Your ears will pick up the change in sound. Check out some sound quality vehicles, the placement of the speAkers are key. What you want to do is not only have a great enclosure for the back side of the speaker but also the front. Sounds stupid right??? Place a speaker at your face in no enclosure. Sounds okay. But drowned out. Put it In the right enclosure and a 5 dollar speaker can turn into a thing of beauty. When In your jeep your speakers aren't placed facing up. They are faced in a direction to which the sound has some sort of deflection. When you can find tune whether you like on axis(pointed at your) or off axis, the possibilities Are endless.

I'd say play with it. Make sure your have the right crossovers(passive) or amp that can run active to fully utilize the speaker in that location. Also get a few people to take a listen. Your thoughts while testing may be fine and you are happy. Put someone else in their and they make think it sounds terrible. Creating a new sound stage can be difficult to incorporate. But the best part is once you have the equipment it's game on. Don't give up it may take your a few times to get the sound you like. Post back your thoughts and build.
Yes, I know that isn't the optimal placement, but I'm looking at the limitations as far as space and my use of the vehicle. My other option is to install the center channel on top of the dash, above the radio, either in an enclosure built above, or installed into the top firing up. That area has 2 serious problems: one it is very visible, telling people I have a system installed, and second it is very exposed to the elements and I run with my top off most of the Spring, Summer, and Fall. But, if after I play with the speakers it looks like that is the best location, then I will make a decision. I can even instal a component set with the mid down low and a tweeter module on top of the dash like the current speakers, but that doesn't usually work well for a center channel....

As for the electronics, I have the crossovers and an AudioControl System 90 Model 11 center channel processor which has an amp, 3 band eq and spatial sound processing with dash mounted controls that actually does a pretty amazing job.

Last edited by Davesrb; 07-09-2013 at 03:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Planning my total sound system upgrade..old school style!