Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Pros and cons of led headlights & fogs

Old 04-22-2015, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pros and cons of led headlights & fogs

I I had thought I had my mind up a month ago to go with truck lite led head lights and he speaker led fog lights.
Then I heard about the heated truck lite headlamps and since being in a snowstorm happens every year well that would have been the choice of champions
(Heated lamp covers to melt snow that may accumulate in the surface of lamp blocking light)

These heated lamps turn on automatically when the temperature drops. So even if it's a bright, dry, sunny day, it will be on.

I am a fan of LEDs but for headlamps they are now seeming less useful and looking for others options before I buy something

The reasons for buying LEDs is that they can be bright , draw low amps and are cool. Why is that important on a jeep? Is it wasting lots of gas ? Would HIDs put out just as much light and stay warm enough to melt snow. Then why buy the heated LEDs
Old 04-22-2015, 06:47 AM
JK Freak

Pros:
Look cool
Brighter light
Less current draw

Cons:
Expensive

If you can afford or justify their cost, I see no cons.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:50 AM
JK Freak

Cant speak for the Heated Truck Lights, but I do love my regular Truck Lights, not so sure people coming the other direction in traffic feel the same way tho lol.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:49 AM
JK Freak

I ran truck lites for a while and in the right type on snow the icing over was a problem. This winter I upgraded to Morimoto Sealed 7 Projected HIDs from The Retrofit Source and they were head and shoulders better. Attached are some pics and a thread I did about them. TRS has a coupon code going on right now 'APRILJK'

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...4/#post4074729

Parking LightsClick image for larger version

Name:	image-1672074421.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	607629 Morimoto XB LED Fogs Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1955363024.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	607630Morimoto Sealed 7 Low BeamClick image for larger version

Name:	image-2786605053.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	607631 Morimoto Sealed 7 high beam Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3735988800.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	607632
Old 04-22-2015, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

What's the benefit to less current draw?
Old 04-27-2015, 06:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't have the heated due to the fact that I live in south Texas but I have no complaints other than price. Major improvement over stock. Have the anti flicker harness and other than it taking a second to switch between my headlights and brights I don't think its a huge issue with oncoming drivers. Just have to be angled correctly
Old 04-28-2015, 08:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by etl330
I ran truck lites for a while and in the right type on snow the icing over was a problem. This winter I upgraded to Morimoto Sealed 7 Projected HIDs from The Retrofit Source and they were head and shoulders better. Attached are some pics and a thread I did about them. TRS has a coupon code going on right now 'APRILJK'

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...4/#post4074729

Parking LightsAttachment 607629 Morimoto XB LED Fogs Attachment 607630Morimoto Sealed 7 Low BeamAttachment 607631 Morimoto Sealed 7 high beam Attachment 607632
So awesome.... I hate my truck lites and would love a set of those.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vladimer
So awesome.... I hate my truck lites and would love a set of those.
Why do u hate your trucklites?
Old 04-28-2015, 10:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Monster696
Why do u hate your trucklites?
Mostly the beam pattern. It does well to have a cut off line that matches a projector but the actual light it puts on the ground is hardly even. Noticeable brighter spots and the X they make is rather distracting. I find at night I sometimes zone out a bit focusing on the X instead of looking side to side on the road. The truck lites high beams are great though. Very bright and uniform light.

I found my drop in HID's pointed lower had a much better low beam but the truck lites have a much brighter high beam due to having another set of led's it turns on.

Edit: you are in Calgary... you should join the Junkies!
Old 07-12-2015, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vladimer
Mostly the beam pattern. It does well to have a cut off line that matches a projector but the actual light it puts on the ground is hardly even. Noticeable brighter spots and the X they make is rather distracting. I find at night I sometimes zone out a bit focusing on the X instead of looking side to side on the road. The truck lites high beams are great though. Very bright and uniform light. I found my drop in HID's pointed lower had a much better low beam but the truck lites have a much brighter high beam due to having another set of led's it turns on. Edit: you are in Calgary... you should join the Junkies!

Just joined jeep junkies
Thanks. Took awhile

Quick Reply: Pros and cons of led headlights & fogs