Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Pros and cons of led headlights & fogs

Old 07-15-2015, 04:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Monster696
Why do u hate your trucklites?
I simply love my TruckLite head lights and my Vision X LED fog lights.

They will last as long as I have my Jeep.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

Apologies in advance for being an advertorial type post. We're working with the WranglerForum to get some folks a good deal on some JK Headlights.
For anyone interested, the thread is rather lengthy and goes into a lot of different directions.

If you are interested, it's located here:
Umnitza LED Lights - Page 12 - Jeep Wrangler Forum

It started with a customer ordering our headlights for his Jeep, and then suddenly, it "blew up"
Old 07-20-2015, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

What about LED's for fog lights? I mean for when it's actually foggy. I've read articles stating that the whiter the light, the worse they are in the fog. I think that's where the yellow fog light comes in? But what LED "fog" light manufacturer actually builds one with yellow LED's? Sure, you can cover your lenses with yellow film, but how well does that really work? Is the yellow light a myth?
Old 07-20-2015, 07:41 PM
JK Super Freak

I think now days a fog light is more for foreground lighting. Most lights these days are brighter at their cut off or lack there of for some lights. With that being said, the foreground light is very dim. It's supposed to be that way though. If you have too much foreground light, it inhibits your ability to have great visibility at a distance.

For example... Take a 50" light bar. Aim it to shoot for distance. Take a 20" bar and aim it about 20 ft ahead of you. Chances are unless that 50" has rigids new hyper spot beam, you aren't going to see that long distance lighting very well.

So, the fog light is really just going to add some foreground and even a little width. Not really a needed part, but they do look good and add a little bit to the front end. That's just my opinion
Old 07-20-2015, 08:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bfschor
What about LED's for fog lights? I mean for when it's actually foggy. I've read articles stating that the whiter the light, the worse they are in the fog. I think that's where the yellow fog light comes in? But what LED "fog" light manufacturer actually builds one with yellow LED's? Sure, you can cover your lenses with yellow film, but how well does that really work? Is the yellow light a myth?
In practice yellow light does a better job than pure white light which is reflective in the fog. So yellow is good for fogs. However in the 2% of the time you will be in fog, it's ultimately better to have more light on the road and get white LED or HID fogs.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not just fog yellow works better. It's rain and snow. Mostly snow in my experience. Yellow doesn't have the cool factor but works best when conditions are most hairy
Old 07-21-2015, 05:10 AM
JK Freak

I'm in the projector HID camp myself. Had a set custom built by HIDProjectors.com (Tom's a great guy) back in 2012 and can't say enough about them. Compared them side by side to a set of TruckLites during a write-up on another forum and while at close range light output from both is pretty equal, my HID's put more light out at distance. Likely because of the focused beam that projectors provide. Granted I sent Tom my factory housings and didn't install lots of custom options, but I think I ended up paying $475 for my bi-xenon retrofits with CCFL halo. Besides the light output, though, for me at least....I just don't like the look of the TruckLites because only the upper half of the housing is lit with just the low beams on.

So if it were me......I'd retrofit a set of Bi-Xenon HID's in your stock housings and call it a day. You won't regret it!
Old 07-22-2015, 01:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

By bfschor
What about LED's for fog lights? I mean for when it's actually foggy.
Sure, you can cover your lenses with yellow film, but how well does that really work? Is the yellow light a myth?
Red light penetrates fog better. As the light color changes towards the blue, penetration is gradually reduced.
However, human eyes are much more sensitive to yellow than to red, so yellow light gives an overall better visibility.

By bombout800
I think now days a fog light is more for foreground lighting. Most lights these days are brighter at their cut off or lack there of for some lights. With that being said, the foreground light is very dim. It's supposed to be that way though. If you have too much foreground light, it inhibits your ability to have great visibility at a distance.

For example... Take a 50" light bar. Aim it to shoot for distance. Take a 20" bar and aim it about 20 ft ahead of you. Chances are unless that 50" has rigids new hyper spot beam, you aren't going to see that long distance lighting very well.
In thick fog (or dust), we see nothing at long distance anyway. True fog lights are made for short distance, ahead and to the sides.

So, the fog light is really just going to add some foreground and even a little width. Not really a needed part, but they do look good and add a little bit to the front end. That's just my opinion
There’s a good reason why fog lights are located low. Fog is thinner right above asphalt or ground, so there’s more penetration and less glare.
In real thick fog, it is important to see the road or trail side, that’s why fog lights’ pattern is wide.
Spot lights are useless in thick fog/dust.
50” light bars, even A-pillar lights, in fog, are located too high, so the fog reflects the light and blinds the driver.

Yes, fog lights can also be used for adding light right in front and to the sides, but for driving in thick fog, as the OP asked, they are optimally located.
In real thick fog, at night, into which I bump on a highway about once or twice a year, I use only the fog lights, headlight turned off. They add nothing but disturbing glare.

As driving in thick fog is rare for me, the fog light are white, similar color to the LED Truck Lite headlights.

I use LEDs because of their natural white light color, very long lifespan and minimal current draw.

Last edited by GJeep; 07-22-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, so Rigid offers their D2's as a yellow "flood" light. How does a flood light compare to a fog light??
Old 07-23-2015, 01:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bfschor
Ok, so Rigid offers their D2's as a yellow "flood" light. How does a flood light compare to a fog light??
Fog lights are actually flood lights, as the horizontal spread angle would ideally be around 90 degrees.
(The spread angle of floods varies from model to model. Floods with narrower spread angles are less effective as fog lights.)

Vertically, the beam is aimed so the cutoff line is a tad below the fog light.
This reduces glare from fog or dust and prevents blinding of on-coming traffic.

Last edited by GJeep; 07-24-2015 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Pros and cons of led headlights & fogs