Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Pull a fuse to disable the JK from starting?

Old 11-16-2015, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Pull a fuse to disable the JK from starting?

So I need to park my jeep in an airport parking garage for five days. Of course I'll lock it, but I'd rather have a bit more security and pull a fuse(s) to disable the jeep from starting. I'm thinking J17 - Starter solenoid. Anyone tried to do this?

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2015, 04:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
So I need to park my jeep in an airport parking garage for five days. Of course I'll lock it, but I'd rather have a bit more security and pull a fuse(s) to disable the jeep from starting. I'm thinking J17 - Starter solenoid. Anyone tried to do this? Thanks!
Maybe I am naive, but doesn't the fact that a chip in the key is needed to start provide enough security? I've parked my JKU many times at Newark airport and never gave it a thought about someone stealing it. Breaking in to steal stuff maybe, but not actually to steal the jeep.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

An non-programmed key will start the jeep for 2 seconds before shutting it down. I've tried

You can pull any fuse you'd like but the fuel pump fuse would probably be just as effective if you're looking for alternatives to pull.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Maybe I am naive, but doesn't the fact that a chip in the key is needed to start provide enough security? I've parked my JKU many times at Newark airport and never gave it a thought about someone stealing it. Breaking in to steal stuff maybe, but not actually to steal the jeep.
I would think so, but I think for piece of mind. There have been several jeeps stolen in my area in the past six weeks ( five to be exact) and three of them were JKs. They weren't trailered away or towed as far as the witnesses say. That leaves driving them.

Not saying it'll help much, but maybe a bit more difficult.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's fuse M11 (13 JK) but the fuse for the ignition will stop it from starting. I know this because my amp wire is hooked up to my ignition wire and I've blown the fuse twice, Jeep gets power but will not turn over.

Quick Reply: Pull a fuse to disable the JK from starting?