Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Quick switch question.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick switch question.

So I want to add the pillar switch pod to run lights. I was wondering if there is a way to add a hidden "master" switch under the dash so when I leave it parked with the doors off, some tool does not come by and flip all my switches leaving me with a dead battery. Thanks for your input
Old 11-14-2014, 04:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The best way to accomplish that is to run the relays for the switches to switched power. Then none of the accessories will turn on without the key in the run position. If that doesn't meet your needs, then an sPod may. It will cutoff all the accessories when your battery drops to a certain voltage...12.7 I believe but don't quote me on that. The sPod runs on unswitched power.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah you there are 2 ways to do this. Your switch will have 3 tabs on the bottom if it has an LED on there. One is your positive, that will come from a power source. One will be a ground for the LED. And the last will be the negative out to the relay. The easiest way to do what you want to do is to use a switched power source going into that first tab. This way, no power even goes to the switch unless the key is in the ignition. There are a few slots in the fuse box that work as a switched source. I believe the M7 slot is for heated seats which most people don't have. Get an Add-A-Fuse and plug it into M7 (or other available switched fuse spot) and run a wire from there into the cab to your switch. I can provide more details if you want to go this route.

The other option is to put a second switch like you originally asked about. I don't like this idea as much because it gives you a chance of forgetting to flip it off. But to do this option, you could get away with a more simplistic 2 tab switch with no LED. Then you'd wire from the battery to a small fuse (as small as you can get, say 1 amp) then to the simple switch mounted wherever you want. Under the hood, in the glove compartment, hidden under the dash, wherever you want. Then out from this simple switch into the pillar switch. This way, power cannot get to the pillar switch without the first switch being on. Again, I can provide more details, but I still prefer the first method better. Less wiring, which can lead to less mistakes and places to go wrong. And no chance of forgetting to turn the power off.

Quick Reply: Quick switch question.