Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Rear blinkers/brake lights not working

Old 01-26-2015, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rear blinkers/brake lights not working

SO, about a week ago I noticed when I turned my right turning signal on that it sounded much quicker than normal. Didn't give it too much thought at the time, but later when arming the alarm I noticed the right side rear light did not blink (left side was fine at the time). After trying the right signal I verified that it was not working, but the headlight was (so the top bulb in the taillight was fine, the bottom was not working).

Went to the store, bought some replacement bulbs, replaced the bulb and still nothing. I then looked at the old bulb and realized both filaments were intact so now I know I have an electrical problem.

While trying to decide the best course of action, this past Saturday the left side now has "caught" the same problem. Unfortunately I don't have the tools, workspace, or skills to troubleshoot the issue. Also after some googling I've found several instances of Jeep owners having this issue, but no clear cut resolution (I guess this issue has a number of causes).

So I guess I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix this, I have an appointment with a local dealership next Saturday, but I'm contemplating trying to find a local auto electrician, mainly because I strongly dislike dealing with dealerships, the Jeep is out of warranty (I bought in brand new in 08'), and third I feel like driving this thing around for another week is dangerous at best. Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions or has had to deal with this issue.

PS: I haven't done any modding of the bumpers, or offroading, nothing out of regular driving to cause this it just "happened" out of the blue
Old 01-26-2015, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Have you checked the fuses? It's od that it affects two different jobs (breaks and turn). I would start with the fuse and work my way towards the back. Can be done with a simple tool that attaches to ground and when it touches power it lights up. Auto store should have them for $10.

https://m.local.sears.com/#!/Craftsm...117x00001xlpla
Old 01-26-2015, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WINGIT
Have you checked the fuses? It's od that it affects two different jobs (breaks and turn). I would start with the fuse and work my way towards the back. Can be done with a simple tool that attaches to ground and when it touches power it lights up. Auto store should have them for $10.

https://m.local.sears.com/#!/Craftsm...117x00001xlpla
Ok thanks, I will give that a try.

Quick Reply: Rear blinkers/brake lights not working