Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Recommendations on Speakers?

Old 01-30-2015, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommendations on Speakers?

About to do a sound system upgrade on 2014 JKUR. Currently have stock 130 radio and factory speakers. I am not a huge audiophile.

Planning on installing Pioneer AVH-x2700bs. Has functions I want , good reviews and price point.

While I am doing the work, speakers seem to be a worthwhile upgrade

Any recommendations on in dash and rollbar speakers? Manufacturer and model? Want to stay at $50-75 for each pair.

Also. Are their options for the little speakers mounted on top of dash?

Thx in advance
Old 01-30-2015, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

For that price, go with the Kicker 77 upgrade http://www.amazon.com/JEEP-WRANGLER-.../dp/B004SUO5QS.

Both the lower dash and roll bar use the same speaker, so buy two pairs. These are designed to drop into (or up into, rather) the mounting holes as well as plug right into the factory wiring.

There are definitely better speakers out there, but compared to the tissue paper stock speakers, these will be the perfect upgrade within your price range.
The following users liked this post:
domifan (09-01-2022)
Old 01-30-2015, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second that. I had them in an older JK with a Sony head unit, and they were a huge improvement. If you add a small subwoofer, you can turn down some of the bass going to your dash and roll bar speakers and get much cleaner sound. I'm 46, and I don't like door rattling thump, just nice full sound.
Originally Posted by Terry Hesticles
For that price, go with the Kicker 77 upgrade http://www.amazon.com/JEEP-WRANGLER-.../dp/B004SUO5QS. Both the lower dash and roll bar use the same speaker, so buy two pairs. These are designed to drop into (or up into, rather) the mounting holes as well as plug right into the factory wiring. There are definitely better speakers out there, but compared to the tissue paper stock speakers, these will be the perfect upgrade within your price range.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Terry Hesticles
For that price, go with the Kicker 77 upgrade http://www.amazon.com/JEEP-WRANGLER-.../dp/B004SUO5QS. Both the lower dash and roll bar use the same speaker, so buy two pairs. These are designed to drop into (or up into, rather) the mounting holes as well as plug right into the factory wiring. There are definitely better speakers out there, but compared to the tissue paper stock speakers, these will be the perfect upgrade within your price range.

These look interesting thanks! That said not locked into the price range, I can go north if there is something better out there.

I did a little research and found these http://smile.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-A...pr_product_top as well. Same price range (but not plug and play) so will need adapter kit.

Also went the Crutchfield. They are saying rollbar speakers are smaller than dash. Just to confirm, are they same size as dash or does that just work for the kickers?
Old 01-30-2015, 11:53 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by WHT_JKUR
... I am not a huge audiophile. ...
With at least the early JK years the OEM speakers were horrible. If you're just looking to make the sound reasonably close to what most new vehicle sound systems provide from the factory, then the Kickers are a perfect upgrade (or at least for early year JKs it is). Will make a huge difference in the audio quality, even with the OEM head unit (I have the RES). However, I wouldn't waste any money on the rear speakers (sound bar). I ran around for about six months having just replaced the two front speakers and was very pleased with the results. Then I replaced the sound bar speakers, and it made no discernible difference. Unless you're going to fix the actual audio output (with your new head unit?) to the sound bar, you can still get darned okay sound by just replacing the two front speakers. Suggest you try that first, and see how you like it.

FYI, I did a comparison with a friend's JK who had the top-of-the-line Infinity system way back when. He had the subwoofer of course. We took a song I have that has wonderful bass and treble, making for a great test of range. Played it in mine and it sounded pretty darned good. Played it in his and the bass was really kick ass. Then I asked him to fade all of the sound to the front. And the sound quality was horrendous. In mine, the sound was clear, the bass was present, the cymbals were a delight to listen to. That subwoofer, at least back in the early years, was masking those horrible, horrible OEM speakers.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:34 AM
JK Newbie

I've read a lot of poor reviews on the kicker upgrades. And just to clarify, the dash speakers and the rollbar speakers are the same size, 6 1/2", but have different mounting depth capabilities. The rollbar speakers are more limited on their depth. I believe the Pioneer speakers you looked at will fit both places with the adapters. I too want to upgrade my system and am currently looking at a Pioneer head unit with the same Pioneer speakers or the Pioneer TSD1602R 6.5 Inch Two-Way Speakers. Not sure about the mounting depth of these but figure I can make a spacer ring if needed. I also plan on using a Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 Punch BRT 300-Watt Ultra Compact 4-Channel Amplifier with them. I've read great reviews about how well this amp fits behind the dash and how good it sounds. I also plan on finding some way of mounting a 12" sub somewhere in the jeep that's not too obvious. I have a soft top and would like to keep my system somewhat stealth. Read the reviews on Amazon about these speakers and amp. And they all seem to be in your price range. But I have not heard this setup yet and am just going on other reviews I've read.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the kicker cs65. I didn't do the 77's upgrade cause I heard they also weren't too much of an "upgrade". The cs65's are excellent, and I even modified them so I could put the new speaker grilles on the soundbar.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:01 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by immortalmetal
I have the kicker cs65. I didn't do the 77's upgrade cause I heard they also weren't too much of an "upgrade". The cs65's are excellent, and I even modified them so I could put the new speaker grilles on the soundbar.
I've read those, too. They are a great upgrade for a 2007--all OEM audio options. Can't say what they might do for later years. But, sometimes people have even higher standards than me, which is why I compare it to what you would expect from a new OEM system. Audiophiles need not apply, and should stop saying these aren't a huge improvement (they are), and should be as forthcoming in their remarks as I've been (they should admit their fussiness for pristine sound). Those without personal experience could just as easily quote the many of us who like the Kicker77s, but for some strange reason choose not to.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 01-31-2015 at 04:10 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

About to do a sound system upgrade on 2014 JKUR. Currently have stock 130 radio and factory speakers. I am not a huge audiophile. Planning on installing Pioneer AVH-x2700bs. Has functions I want , good reviews and price point. While I am doing the work, speakers seem to be a worthwhile upgrade Any recommendations on in dash and rollbar speakers? Manufacturer and model? Want to stay at $50-75 for each pair. Also. Are their options for the little speakers mounted on top of dash? Thx in advance

Okay... So as I have been researching. It looks like the 2014 rubicon has the upgraded alpine system. I guess when I was buying, I was far more focused on the drivetrain. LOL

So.. Is the price point on speakers I am looking at going to give me better sound? I realize I can pay more. Only reason I was looking to do it was everything is going to be pulled apart.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:12 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Okay... So as I have been researching. It looks like the 2014 rubicon has the upgraded alpine system. I guess when I was buying, I was far more focused on the drivetrain. LOL

So.. Is the price point on speakers I am looking at going to give me better sound? I realize I can pay more. Only reason I was looking to do it was everything is going to be pulled apart.
That Alpine system has received really good reviews. It is also ruggedized for Jeep outdoor/topless use. There was an article about it on cNet a week or two ago. You might go read that.

Edit:

http://www.cnet.com/news/jeep-and-al...m-at-ces-2015/

Quick Reply: Recommendations on Speakers?