Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Redesigned Sound System

Old 01-15-2017, 02:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still stumped as to why you are having such clearance issues. As I said via email I disconnected those black boxes in your photo and relocated them with zip ties to the bottom of the seats. It does not effect the sensors in the seats or my heated seats and no warning lights.

My personal boxes are a full 3/4" taller than the ones we are currently selling because we periodically used them to test other 10" woofers. That means that mine extend 3/4" further up into the bottom of the seat with no rubbing or limitations in seat travel. I think it is all because you didn't take that black box off and relocate it.

If you don't feel comfortable relocating it, just email me if you'd like to return the enclosure.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cride
Has anybody had an issue with the little black box hanging from the bottom of the driver's side seat? Got everything installed in my 2011 JKU. Cut the carpet, did a considerable amount of trimming on the armrest side seat bracket and using 4 stacked washers at all 4 corners, but still have a clearance issue. I don't know what this box is, but I bent the bracket up as much as I felt comfortable. I do know that the box is slightly magnetic because while grinding the bracket off the seat rails, some of the metal stuck to that little black box. If the seat is all the way back it is ok, but I only get about 4" of travel forward because that little black box hits the rubber surround on the sub. Already jacked my new sub up! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Re arrange the whole under side of the seat. I'm talking 100%, when u u bolt the seat take a few mins and go the extra minute to disconnect the seat belts so u can work on it easier without digging any of your interior up. U have only a few wires and components that serve any purpose under there. All that black plastic framework rip that crap out just get some cutters and cut it away. Get some zip ties and basically build the platform that that plastic piece served to the metal grid. Adjust your seat to make sure it is functional. This will save u a solid inch of clearance. I did all this when I install seat heaters it's a lot more comforting knowing if the sub gets max flex it's not going to puncture on something under there. Like the black box u still have in the way. And the metal that is attached to the box can be cut off as well. Just get in there and beaten it up. And ur picture shows a small scratch to the rubber gasket that goes around the woofer made to protect it, thats common since u didn't relocate the black box is there actual damage to the woofer or are u being finicky? Also 4 to 6 washers per contact points for the seat I use 6 no carpet.

Last edited by SullivanM08; 01-23-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Done. Tore it apart again last night and ripped everything up and got it all buttoned up. I now have full seat functionality. As far as the damage on the ring. It really isn't a big deal I just hate that I dropped over $500 on the box & sub and jacked it up during install. I ended up with 3 washers at each location. I am completely satisfied and Matt helped throughout the process.

Originally Posted by SullivanM08

Re arrange the whole under side of the seat. I'm talking 100%, when u u bolt the seat take a few mins and go the extra minute to disconnect the seat belts so u can work on it easier without digging any of your interior up. U have only a few wires and components that serve any purpose under there. All that black plastic framework rip that crap out just get some cutters and cut it away. Get some zip ties and basically build the platform that that plastic piece served to the metal grid. Adjust your seat to make sure it is functional. This will save u a solid inch of clearance. I did all this when I install seat heaters it's a lot more comforting knowing if the sub gets max flex it's not going to puncture on something under there. Like the black box u still have in the way. And the metal that is attached to the box can be cut off as well. Just get in there and beaten it up. And ur picture shows a small scratch to the rubber gasket that goes around the woofer made to protect it, thats common since u didn't relocate the black box is there actual damage to the woofer or are u being finicky? Also 4 to 6 washers per contact points for the seat I use 6 no carpet.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cride
Done. Tore it apart again last night and ripped everything up and got it all buttoned up. I now have full seat functionality. As far as the damage on the ring. It really isn't a big deal I just hate that I dropped over $500 on the box & sub and jacked it up during install. I ended up with 3 washers at each location. I am completely satisfied and Matt helped throughout the process.
Was it the trim ring or the actual woofer surround that got nicked?

I learned the hard way in one of the old SD-2 woofers that the surrounds are 2-ply. So while I tore the taller surround a little, there was another ply under it that kept the sealed integrity of the woofer and enclosure.

I then used a little silicone to patch the surround and never had any issues. At the end of the day I was the only one that knew there was any damage because the woofer was completely hidden under the seat. These new SD-3s are nice because they inverted the surrounds so instead of sticking up and inch above the box, they extend down into the box. Great improvement.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

The inverted surround saved me because I would have probably damaged the surrong on the SD-2. The damage was only to the rubber trim ring. Not big deal.

Originally Posted by Mattk11
Was it the trim ring or the actual woofer surround that got nicked?

I learned the hard way in one of the old SD-2 woofers that the surrounds are 2-ply. So while I tore the taller surround a little, there was another ply under it that kept the sealed integrity of the woofer and enclosure.

I then used a little silicone to patch the surround and never had any issues. At the end of the day I was the only one that knew there was any damage because the woofer was completely hidden under the seat. These new SD-3s are nice because they inverted the surrounds so instead of sticking up and inch above the box, they extend down into the box. Great improvement.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:54 AM
JK Newbie

Pm sent matk11
Old 05-03-2017, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Do you still make these boxes? I'm interested
Old 05-04-2017, 11:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bantici
Do you still make these boxes? I'm interested
I'd be interested too. I'll follow up with a PM.

Also, for those who have both seats, do you notice much of a sound difference when running a single sub at a time on the passenger size vs drivers? I'd like it under my seat so I feel the bass more, but I had also planned on running my amps under my side and the sub under the other. Any preferences that you guys have or diminished "feel" of the bass by it not being right under you?
Old 05-04-2017, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I use the 10" sundown powered with 500watt amp under my passenger seat only and I can definitely feel the bass while driving!!
Old 05-04-2017, 02:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Muddy4DSM
I'd be interested too. I'll follow up with a PM.

Also, for those who have both seats, do you notice much of a sound difference when running a single sub at a time on the passenger size vs drivers? I'd like it under my seat so I feel the bass more, but I had also planned on running my amps under my side and the sub under the other. Any preferences that you guys have or diminished "feel" of the bass by it not being right under you?
Running a Speaker amp PPI900.4 under the steering wheel, 2 PBR500X1 amps behind the glove box, run some 0 gage from battery with 250 amp fuse (add up amps fuses) in line to a distribution block 3 way split, I scaled down to 4 gauge to the 2 sub amps and 4 gauge to the speaker amps input and grounded with 4 gauge too... Just what I had around could have used little less. But I have both sub boxes under my seat. I started with just driver side but quickly bought another. One was good but 2 is nicer and u don't really notice them pounding your ass lol honesty sounds/feels like there behind u. Bass vibrates through tub and is perfect. Buy some roofing tar paper to for like 20 bux a roll homedepot or lowes 3 rolls can get u pretty good multiple layers when u take out your seats. Very good quality and Matt sends u some nice user friendly Instructions, Regarding his box. Take your seats out and cut apart all the plastic crap underneath them throw that crap away and zip tie things into place. This will save u from worrying about your sub flexing on them and potentially putting a hole through them. As goes for tucking away your wires under your dash zip ties are easy when working upside down. For the wiring I would leave wires just long enough so that you can leave you amp hooked up on the floor of the jeep and have a little slack to hide. Wire everything if you can with seats out before u go putting them back in and having less room to work.

GL! Love this setup!

Quick Reply: Redesigned Sound System