Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Relocate Fog Light

Old 03-25-2011, 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relocate Fog Light

I added a new front bumper this week, which didn't have cutouts for the factory fog lights. So, I will be buying new fog/driving lights to mount to the bumper, and I want to use my factory switch.

I searched and found some handy information, alot of information! But the one thing I couldn't find was options for not using a relay.
2 questions;
-Are there fog/driving lights which splice right in to the factory wiring? I believe the factory bulbs are 45w or 50w, so you need lights that are less than 45 or 50 watt.

-If I have to get a relay. Where do you get there relay from? Are they included in the box with they new lights?

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2011, 02:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

-Are there fog/driving lights which splice right in to the factory wiring?
If you look on the MOPAR accessories websight, you will find a set that just plugs right in.

I believe the factory bulbs are 45w or 50w, so you need lights that are less than 45 or 50 watt.
Corect. But a lot of people still have trouble going this route.

-If I have to get a relay. Where do you get there relay from? Are they included in the box with they new lights?
If you buy the complete kit? Then yes! You can find them at any automotive store also.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:24 AM
JK Newbie

I'm in a similar boat. I just replaced my front bumper and added a set of PIAA 540s, but I would like to still use the factory fog lights, switch and wiring somewhere. My though is to extend them out and use them as rear lights.

My smittybuilt SRC rear bumper won't have a location for them either. Have you come across any ideas in your research?
Old 03-30-2011, 04:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mule3516
I'm in a similar boat. I just replaced my front bumper and added a set of PIAA 540s, but I would like to still use the factory fog lights, switch and wiring somewhere. My though is to extend them out and use them as rear lights.

My smittybuilt SRC rear bumper won't have a location for them either. Have you come across any ideas in your research?
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the first post. You can use the OEM control circuit for the fogs to trip a aftermarket relay and harness attached to a new set of lights. I can't see this circuit being useful if extended to the rear bumper?
Old 03-30-2011, 04:56 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mule3516

I saw a post ages ago where someone built buckets for the stock fogs and used them as front rocklights. It was a neat idea. I might have to do that someday.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

Thank for the input. Still haven't decided which way to go. Still waiting on the rear bumper to come in. I'll probably wait until then to start and see what come to mind.

Quick Reply: Relocate Fog Light