Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

replacing clock spring?

Old 08-30-2015, 04:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing clock spring?

Anyone done this on their own? I am pretty comfortable with most repairs, but for some reason this one makes me a little nervous. I have swapped my factory housing for a pr44, done a clutch myself so I am willing to try anything.

Just wondering how complex this is? Anything to worry about with an airbag in the steering wheel ( my big fear)?
Old 08-30-2015, 04:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiac31
Anything to worry about with an airbag in the steering wheel ( my big fear)?
WARNING: To avoid serious or fatal injury on vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, airbag, seat belt tensioner, impact sensor, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the SRS. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment.

Lots of people have damaged their new clocksprings because they didn't have the proper tech data to refer to.
If you don't have the factory service manual, subscribe to AllData. It's the same information as the factory manual, but a lot less expensive.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What he said ^^ Also, search "Clockspring Replacement" it's a very informative thread on the subject under the JK Write-Up section. I would post a link if I weren't on my phone. P.S. It's not real difficult, I replaced mine in 45 minutes.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TreyJK
What he said ^^ Also, search "Clockspring Replacement" it's a very informative thread on the subject under the JK Write-Up section. I would post a link if I weren't on my phone. P.S. It's not real difficult, I replaced mine in 45 minutes.
likewise, took me about the same amount of time.

Hardes thing is getting the three clips undone to get the center cover off the steering wheel.

Google it, lots of good write ups.

Quick Reply: replacing clock spring?