Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

The Retrofit source

Old 07-20-2014, 04:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well shows what I know lol.

I got the left turned closer to straight while I was in a hurry last night but haven't aimed them yet, I actually think if I were to aim them right I would get more light on the road that I have at the moment. They are aimed up so high the high beams are completely useless, you actually can't even see them come on unless there is something on the sides of the road
Old 07-21-2014, 05:33 AM
JK Freak

Finnally decided to get off my ass and hook the halos up
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-655065968.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	566607  
Old 07-25-2014, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Jeepowners forum members get 15% off check the forums for code. I got my complete set for $400.

Last edited by kingrye; 07-30-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

Did you guys use high-temp paint on yours? Right now I am debating if I should have gone with halo to fill the gaps on my apollo2 shrouds... Also where are you guys mounting all the stuff for the mopar wire harness and ballasts?
Old 07-25-2014, 07:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kingrye
Did you guys use high-temp paint on yours? Right now I am debating if I should have gone with halo to fill the gaps on my apollo2 shrouds... Also where are you guys mounting all the stuff for the mopar wire harness and ballasts?
I will take pics of where I put my stuff in the morning. I bought mine built do not sure what paint it is. Next set I'm building myself so not sure what I will be doing
Old 07-26-2014, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

i didnt run mine very cleanly but the ballasts are mounted to the radiator support on eaither side the wiring that goes from one side to the other is run with the factory harness. one of these days i will clean it all up, i dont have any shade to work on this stuff in so i got in a hurry.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kingrye
Jk-owners forum members get 15% off check the forums for code. I got my complete set for $400.
where did you find the code??
Old 07-26-2014, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

You don't need hi temp paint as HID's run cooler then halogens. Just prep the surface properly & you'll have no issues.

To paint over chrome do one of the following

1). Use a red or gray scotch brite pad (home depot) to scuff the surface till it's dull (don't have to remove all of the chrome).
2). Spray 2 light coats with adhesion promoter within 10 mins
3). Spray 1 light coat of paint with in 10 mins of the last adhesion promoter application
4). Spray 2 medium coats of paint.
5). Spray 2-3 light coats of clear (optional). Depend on the final look you're going for.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by -ND4SPD-
You don't need hi temp paint as HID's run cooler then halogens. Just prep the surface properly & you'll have no issues. To paint over chrome do one of the following 1). Use a red or gray scotch brite pad (home depot) to scuff the surface till it's dull (don't have to remove all of the chrome). 2). Spray 2 light coats with adhesion promoter within 10 mins 3). Spray 1 light coat of paint with in 10 mins of the last adhesion promoter application 4). Spray 2 medium coats of paint. 5). Spray 2-3 light coats of clear (optional). Depend on the final look you're going for.

i think you have hids and leds mixed up when you say they run cooler. hids actually run a lot hotter than halogens, i wish i had taken a pic of them but didnt have a chance to, i had hids in the stock housings on my raptor and when i sold them yesterday i noticed there was a burn mark in each housing where the bulb was burning it.

with that being said i dont think you need hi temp paint, i used regular krylon fusion plastic paint. i put mine together with the intentions of taking them apart again in the future to change them up a little so if the paint starts getting burnt i will just sand and re paint when that time comes.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Although LED's also run cooler, I'm not getting then mixed up. 35w HID's run cooler than 55w Halogen. It has to do with the way in which each method produces light. Halogen is super heating a filament which as a by product creates heat. HID's light is produced by igniting gas. It's by product is Radiation. This is why a halogen headlamp will melt snow from off of it much faster then an HID headlamp. It gives off over 50-100 degrees more heat (depending on which method you are using to measure/ test).

Quick Reply: The Retrofit source