Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Rigid 50" vs China LED Lightbar

Old 02-25-2015, 08:55 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to also remember that a lot of those ebay/amazon light bar sellers lie about the specs, especially lumen output. You have to question why the $100.00 light bar is "superior" and "stronger" than the pricey ones. Its not just corporate greed.

I would take a look at our New PSII led bars. They are stronger than before, we now use OSRAM leds on them, and offer a lifetime warranty as well. We also supply resonance dampeners so they do not make that whiny sound that others do.

Use discount code "jk10" to save 10%, and they ship same day!
Old 02-25-2015, 10:49 AM
dog
JK Newbie

Sorry, this is totally off topic... but:

Originally Posted by Kojack
Good luck acutally seeing in fog with the "DOT" rigid fogs too. They are just their flood light, and not a fog light design. there will be a huge circle of light in the fog up in your face with them on.
Not trying to start a fight, but this is just plain not true! The DOT designation certifies they absolutely will NOT be "a huge circle of light in the fog up in your face with them on." They're designed specifically to be a "wide, smooth beam with minimal beam height." This is so you can use them legally in low visibility (less than 100yds), which is the whole point of a fog light. The reflector and lens are a completely different design than the Dually floods. They won't shine above your headlights, especially considering they're mounted in the bumper. Check 'em out, you'll see what I mean.

The only way to get a true fog light using LED is to use a reflector to direct the light properly, like JW's or PIAA fog systems. Anything that has the LED pointing out at the road like every rigid light, will just creat a circle of bright light about 100 -200 ft out and then nothing.
Sorry, not true again! The whole point of a fog is not to shine beyond 100yds, and to be pointed at the road. There are detailed specifications for "proper" fog design/performance: one spec is called the DOT spec. It's not a coincidence that the new Rigid DOT fogs are certified to meet this spec. I'm sure the lights you listed are awesome too, I considered the JWs very seriously to match my headlamps, but making sweeping claims about "every Rigid light" being "just a circle of bright light 100-200 ft out and then nothing" is flat out ridiculous! It's clear you don't like Rigid, though!

Now back to the topic:

Trying to defend the claim that $100 knockoffs and $1000 Rigid LEDs are the same thing is a tough position to put yourself in. It'll take more than a conspiracy theory about dimming competitor lights in comparison videos and saying "personally I've compared them and there's no major difference" to be convincing. Especially when you talk about build quality. The quality differences are demonstrably different, from parts/components used, to engineering, to QAQC process. It follows to expect quality differences to result in performance differences, like light output.

In the end, like I said before, there are plenty of people that are very happy with the $100 Eyourlife, and it gets great reviews in general on Amazon. Don't forget you can pay anywhere in between 100-2500 for a 50" LED bar, with varying results.

But a $100 bar is not the same as a $1000+ dollar Rigid/Baja/VisionX, plain and simple.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Ok, the fog light is new, and I have not seen those before. That is a better light design. Most flood lights are called fogs which they are not.

I will stand behind my comments, There is not a huge difference in the Chinese light bars and the actual rigid bars I have seen with my own eyes. def not the cost difference. Vision x and Baja are way ahead of rigid in terms of light output. For similar costs as well. And no I am not a fan of rigid lights as they are very over priced for the performance you get out of them.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:27 PM
dog
JK Newbie

Ok, the fog light is new, and I have not seen those before. That is a better light design. Most flood lights are called fogs which they are not.

I will stand behind my comments, There is not a huge difference in the Chinese light bars and the actual rigid bars I have seen with my own eyes. def not the cost difference. Vision x and Baja are way ahead of rigid in terms of light output. For similar costs as well. And no I am not a fan of rigid lights as they are very over priced for the performance you get out of them.
VisionX and Baja are definitely fantastic lights! I also agree that Rigid is overpriced. I bet they're spending less than 300$ to manufacture those 50" bars!
Old 02-26-2015, 01:12 AM
JK Junkie

I bet they are spending less than that.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

. Good luck acutally seeing in fog with the "DOT" rigid fogs too. They are just their flood light, and not a fog light design. there will be a huge circle of light in the fog up in your face with them on. The only way to get a true fog light using LED is to use a reflector to direct the light properly, like JW's or PIAA fog systems. Anything that has the LED pointing out at the road like every rigid light, will just creat a circle of bright light about 100 -200 ft out and then nothing. LED lights like the light canon, gravity or the PIAA reflective LED will out perform all bars and lego lights.
I'm no Rigid fanboy. I have a set of dually spots on my a-pillar, but they're not as bright as I hoped.

However, you're wrong about needing a reflector. It's the lens fluting that makes the light flat, just like the Hella 500 fogs that came stock on a TJ. Yes, they were reflector based, but it was the fluting that made for the low, flat pattern. Stock JK fogs achieve that with just a reflector, but that doesn't mean that's the only way to do it, and I wouldn't want to use those as a comparison anyway.

I'd love to see an actual pic or video of them, but my biggest concern with LEDs for fogs is the color temp. Why does everyone want their lights so blue? I love my Trucklite's but I wish they were closer to 4300 like most OEMs use. Fogs should ideally be a little warmer yet.

Last edited by neZZr; 02-26-2015 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neZZr

I'm no Rigid fanboy. I have a set of dually spots on my a-pillar, but they're not as bright as I hoped.

However, you're wrong about needing a reflector. It's the lens fluting that makes the light flat, just like the Hella 500 fogs that came stock on a TJ. Yes, they were reflector based, but it was the fluting that made for the low, flat pattern. Stock JK fogs achieve that with just a reflector, but that doesn't mean that's the only way to do it, and I wouldn't want to use those as a comparison anyway.

I'd love to see an actual pic or video of them, but my biggest concern with LEDs for fogs is the color temp. Why does everyone want their lights so blue? I love my Trucklite's but I wish they were closer to 4300 like most OEMs use. Fogs should ideally be a little warmer yet.
Mine should be here Monday, but my Jeeps going to be in the collision shop for two weeks. I'm going to mock them up on my girlfriends 300c to see what they look like.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:32 AM
dog
JK Newbie

My DOT fogs are supposed to arrive tomorrow, the brackets should be here today. I'll be throwing em in the PSC brawler lite. I'll take some good pics. Unfortunately I don't have any D2s to compare them to, and since lighting photos are notoriously unreliable in terms of color/output, I'll only be able to compare them to stock fogs.

As far as color temp goes, I just hope they're close to the JW headlights I've got in :\
Old 02-26-2015, 02:52 PM
JK Junkie

I think they will be more blue than your JW's. JW is pretty tame on the kelvin of their leds. I know the one that was in my friends Harley was nice and white, just not as bright as my trucklite.