Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

On-road fog light solution when losing stock fogs?

Old 05-27-2015, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question On-road fog light solution when losing stock fogs?

I use my factory fogs most of the time when driving. Partially as a semi-DRL so people see me (been hit twice by distracted drivers), but also at night all the time since the stock headlights alone are pretty weak. Some aftermarket bumpers allow you to retain factory fogs or at least factory mounts. The current bumper I have ready to install doesn't allow for stock fogs to relocate, but I do have mounts on top of the bumper and tabs on the overrider bars, plus will have a winch so fairlead mounts are an option as well.

Are there options that you can use on-road without annoying other drivers? I had Rigid spots and floods in the past for offroading, but don't think those are friendly for oncoming traffic. Is there a mountable light that can be directed similar to the stock setup? Pics and experience would be much appreciated.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:02 AM
Former Vendor

I run a 20" Engo Quad lux bar on the Amber setting on the street and does a great job of keeping me visible to others and as a Fog light. If I need even more light on a dark stretch of road, I switch it over to White.

Mine happens to be mounted in my front bumper, but you could easily mount above or on the girl too.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback, looks like they have a few widths available with that setup
Old 05-27-2015, 04:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like my morimoto xb led fogs, but they'd be hard to mount other than in stock holes. rigid makes duallies in a true fog pattern not with a real cutoff so that may be an option.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have Rigid's new DOT certified fogs. They are the same as the hyper spot duallys, but they have a 4x45 degree beam so it doesn't blind people.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150528_093900.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	612631
Old 06-01-2015, 12:04 PM
KMM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChairRepairHeatnAir
I have Rigid's new DOT certified fogs. They are the same as the hyper spot duallys, but they have a 4x45 degree beam so it doesn't blind people.

Attachment 612631
Is it easy to wire these to work with the factory fog switch?
Old 06-01-2015, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KMM

Is it easy to wire these to work with the factory fog switch?
I ran a separate switch because I use them as DRLs and I have the plug and play Inspired Engineering Cubes which don't flicker, but are way too blinding to use on the street. Some people have flicker when they splice directly, others are fine.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

There's this option on the cheap Bumper Rock / Fog Light Mount Bracket Kit | JeepSWAG
Old 06-02-2015, 06:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Upgrade to LED headlights and you won't miss the factory fog lights.
I have the Inspired Engineering Revolver lights in place of the factory fogs and they are pretty good, but not for use on the road.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:29 AM
JK Freak

KC Gravity or rigid fogs are what I suggest since they're both DOT lights . I'm still waiting for someone to come out with a true amber led fog - not just a lens cover.

I see more and more folks using some sort of non-dot cube led lights as fogs in their jeeps and Toyotas around me - I'm tired of being blinded

Quick Reply: On-road fog light solution when losing stock fogs?