Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

RSC 130 radio keeps blanking out - why? fix?

Old 07-09-2015, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a lot of searching on this forum and on Google, I can't find that this is a common problem. I'm hoping you smart folks can guide me. First, my rig's electrical:

* 2011 JKU Sport with 26,500 miles
* Stock fog lamps replaced with LED bulbs; anti-flicker harness installed on each
* CB radio - wired to battery
* (2) LED lights (spots) mounted to bumper, connected with relay switch
* (2) LED lights (floods) mounted to A-pillar, connected with relay switch (same harness/switch I used with bumper lights)

So I've got a total of 5 accessory "red wires" coming off the battery, 2 to switches, 2 to relays/light power, and 1 to the CB.

Problem: Starting soon after I installed the WIRING for the second set of lights, my stock radio (RSC 130) screen started to cut off, on, off, on, then stay off/blank. I could reset the radio by disconnecting the battery negative terminal, sit for a couple of minutes, and reconnect it. Then the radio works just fine for a while. The "while" varied wildly - from hours to days to weeks.

I installed the lights to the 2nd wire harness a couple of weeks after the problem started and the problem persisted. I then disconnected all my accessories from the battery ("back to stock") and it seemed like the problem stopped. I then piece-by-piece added red wires back and the problem never came back...for a couple of weeks. It was a this point (mid-April) that the flashing of my fog light LEDs really annoyed me so I bought the anti-flicker harnesses and installed them. After that (mid-May!) until yesterday, I've had no problem and thus I thought my problem was solved.

Yesterday, after ~4 hours of driving and it all being just fine, the radio shut off again. By shut off, I mean the display goes blank, speakers crackle like the radio gets cut off, etc. No time on the display, even. Button mashing doesn't help.

After getting home, I disconnected from the battery, waited, reconnected, and the radio worked again. Worked to go to dinner, worked to go to work this morning.

Started the Jeep up in the parking lot around lunch time today - clock is blank. I have no idea what's causing the radio to have issues.

Everything else electrical works just fine - including the accessory lights, CB, fog lights, headlights, interior lights, 12V outlets, etc. Any thoughts AT ALL on what this gremlin could be?

Oh, and yes I've made DARN sure the negative battery connection is tight, the ground connections in the engine bay are clean and tight (super tight!) and I've even redone the connections on the red wires. Fuses seem to be good since the radio comes back after a battery disconnect and the relays on the accessory lights must be fine since the lights light up.

Anyone? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by evancise; 07-09-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

So I think I've narrowed it down to a thermal shutoff inside the head unit. It seems to reset (without removing battery power) once it gets cool enough.

I pulled the head unit out and watched the fan from radio activation until it shutoff and it never spun.

I then disassembled the head unit and connected the fan directly to a battery - it works fine. So the fan works but it's not getting power from the head unit. My guess is that this problem allows the head unit to overheat and trip a thermal saving circuit. Sadly for this broke guy, I think the only solution is a new head unit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-614553954.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	547.0 KB
ID:	619209
Old 07-25-2015, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you running the heater? I'm having a similar issue with an aftermarket head unit. The ducts for the heater is right behind and under it. Its an oven in there.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

No, but I'm in Houston. Air temps have been high 80s since April. Even with a/c on, it still shuts off after a while when driving into the sun.
The cavity in the dash doesn't really let air move around if there's no fan to help.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Those radios are a dime a dozen. Have you tried a different radio?
Old 07-25-2015, 11:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an extra I can send you
Old 07-26-2015, 03:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jrutrubi11
Those radios are a dime a dozen. Have you tried a different radio?
I've been trying to locate one from Jeepers in Houston they might have laying around but haven't had much luck. I just dropped all my spare cash into a winch so can't really afford a new radio at the moment. OEM replacements (which I realize are crap) run $200 online.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:09 AM
JK Newbie

I have the same problem. Didn't start happening until I hooked my rigid fogs up to it. I was thinking I was just sucking too much power, need a better battery. Mine is random though. May work for the car ride or may cut out within 1 minute of driving. Doesn't turn back until I shut my vehicle off for a couple minutes. Quite annoying.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Njfrahm07
I have the same problem. Didn't start happening until I hooked my rigid fogs up to it. I was thinking I was just sucking too much power, need a better battery. Mine is random though. May work for the car ride or may cut out within 1 minute of driving. Doesn't turn back until I shut my vehicle off for a couple minutes. Quite annoying.
What year Jeep; what model radio?
Old 07-26-2015, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by evancise
What year Jeep; what model radio?
2011 with the same model

Quick Reply: RSC 130 radio keeps blanking out - why? fix?