Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Side marker Conundrum

Old 09-18-2015, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side marker Conundrum

Chopped my flares, and relocated side markers lights. Checked fuses-good, checked bulbs-good, checked wires and connections from bulb to wiring harness-good. Side markers aren't lighting up.

All the other lights are working fine. What am I missing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2248284348.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	483.0 KB
ID:	624851
Old 09-18-2015, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

What do you mean by checked wires? Are you using the same wiring harness and plug that was connected to the original marker lights? Do you know how to use a multi-meter to check for voltage at the plug?

It sounds pretty straight forward like they should be working, I would suggest working backwards and go back to the factory harness connector where you knew for sure it worked last and see if you get voltage.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TX_JK
What do you mean by checked wires? Are you using the same wiring harness and plug that was connected to the original marker lights? Do you know how to use a multi-meter to check for voltage at the plug? It sounds pretty straight forward like they should be working, I would suggest working backwards and go back to the factory harness connector where you knew for sure it worked last and see if you get voltage.
By check I made sure connection are solid and nothing broken or bent.

Got to dark, I'll try checking voltage in the morning. Hopefully I can track this down.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:32 PM
JK Newbie

One other thing, if you are using LED bulbs make sure they aren't in backwards. Probably not but just thought i would put it out there. As long as you didn't cut/splice into the factory harness i would expect you to have voltage at the factory side marker plugs. Maybe during your relocation you might have grounded one of the wires and popped a fuse. I know you said you checked the fuse but i'd use a multimeter to test continuity through the fuse. And just as a sanity check try a different fuse.

Do the marker lights on the rear of the jeep work? its just the front side markers are out?
Old 09-18-2015, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

One other thing, if you are using LED bulbs make sure they aren't in backwards. Probably not but just thought i would put it out there. As long as you didn't cut/splice into the factory harness i would expect you to have voltage at the factory side marker plugs. Maybe during your relocation you might have grounded one of the wires and popped a fuse. I know you said you checked the fuse but i'd use a multimeter to test continuity through the fuse. And just as a sanity check try a different fuse. Do the marker lights on the rear of the jeep work? its just the front side markers are out?
Just the front side markers
Old 09-19-2015, 04:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

This morning checked power at bulb connection. It has power. I look at the bulbs again. They seem fine. I had some spares laying around. Replaced them and they worked fine. What are the chances of both bulbs going out at the same time on a three month old jeep. I must have done something while triming the fenders.

I need glasses too, it's hard to see the elements and if I get them to close to my eyes they got blurry. Sucks getting older.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:48 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BeachJK
This morning checked power at bulb connection. It has power. I look at the bulbs again. They seem fine. I had some spares laying around. Replaced them and they worked fine. What are the chances of both bulbs going out at the same time on a three month old jeep. I must have done something while triming the fenders. I need glasses too, it's hard to see the elements and if I get them to close to my eyes they got blurry. Sucks getting older.
Yeah you probably banged them when removing them and the bulbs broke? Idk I cut my fenders and never out the side marks back on lol
Old 09-19-2015, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

Glad you found the problem.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Glad you found the problem.
Thanks, don't know what's worse, my Jeep not working or me not working

Quick Reply: Side marker Conundrum