Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Smittybilt 55watt fog lights

Old 10-21-2014, 10:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smittybilt 55watt fog lights

Anybody know a way to hook up 55watt smittybilt fog lights to oem interior switch without running into any issues?
Old 10-21-2014, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

i would assume you will require a relay and a power source. far to high of wattage to run through factory wires. factory wire will serve only as a means to switch relay on and off. so basically same as wiring any other light.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

My friend ran a relay for me. Lights are working but the relay is making a slight clicking noise. Would it be okay to run the power source from the battery? If I turn my fog lights on with the car off, there is no noise. When I turn my car on with the lights on the clicking noise appears.
Thanks 👍👍
Old 10-21-2014, 02:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

You can run the power source from the battery
Old 10-21-2014, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sandtrooper14
My friend ran a relay for me. Lights are working but the relay is making a slight clicking noise. Would it be okay to run the power source from the battery? If I turn my fog lights on with the car off, there is no noise. When I turn my car on with the lights on the clicking noise appears. Thanks ddc4dddc4d
The relay you have is probably already supplied from the battery. The trigger however is on your OEM fog light circuit, hints using the OEM switch to turn on the lights. When the Jeep is off that circuit gets pure 12v from the battery but when you're running the lights receive Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) 12v which cause the chatter in the relay.

Quick Reply: Smittybilt 55watt fog lights