Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

So ive decided to get an Spod

Old 10-13-2014, 08:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So ive decided to get an Spod

With the multiple sets of lights im currently running not to mention the ones i will be adding my engine bay is already a mess and im looking forward to cleaning it up a lot.

Question 1. How many 55w lights can i hook safely to each switch in the spod?

Question 2. Is there any way to wire in a master switch to crank them all on at once with a single switch?

Unfortunatly i am not very electrically inclined. I can do the work no problem but i have no clue as to what is safe. Not really wanting to set my jeep on fire is why i ask.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Subscribed! I would like to know peoples' input as well since I plan on getting a lot of lights onto my Jeep.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The sPod has six 30 amp circuits. What you need to know is the amperage draw of the lights since that is different depending on the type of light that you buy. For example, LEDs use less amperage than HIDs. At a minimum you're talking six sets as long as each set draws less than 30 amps, which it should.

Each circuit comes with a pre-installed fuse. However, you want to match the fuse to the accessory you're installing so take out the pre-installed sPod fuse for that particular circuit and replace it with the fuse that came with the accessory. That way you are sure it is sized correctly.

Not sure why you would want to turn them all on at once but the easiest way I can think of to accomplish that would be to put a solenoid between the battery and sPod power wire controlled by a separate switch in the tub. You would then have to leave all the sPod switches on and use the solenoid switch to control the power. You would still be able to shut each one off separately with the sPod switches.

Edit: The circuits are rated for 30 amps each (from sPod site FAQs) even though the relays are 40 amps. I looked at the relays but apparently they are rated higher than the circuits. Corrected above to 30 amps.

Last edited by 14Sport; 10-18-2014 at 03:49 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

55 watts is 3.9 amps per light reguardless of led or halogen.
I dont have an spod I just have 30 amp switches run off of the battery.
Other than making sure your amp load isn't exceeding the amp rating of the switch (I'd stay at 80% max),is making sure your wire is sized right.
I have a 10" led rigid bar on one switch and 2 duallys on another.
There are plenty of tricks to keeping wiring under your hood "clean"
Spods look great but to me seem like an unnecessary expense, but that's just me.

Last edited by stagedtrip; 10-14-2014 at 03:16 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:32 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by stagedtrip
55 watts is 3.9 amps per light reguardless of led or halogen.
True. Haven't had my coffee yet. What I should have said was a 55 watt EQUIVALENT led uses less amps. Sorry.

Last edited by 14Sport; 10-14-2014 at 03:45 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:46 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 14Sport

True. Haven't had my coffee yet. What I should have said was a 55 watt EQUIVALENT led uses less watts. Sorry.
No need for sorry, was just giving the guy and idea of his amperage per light, and some input. Drink some coffee, work is over so it's beer time for me!
Old 10-14-2014, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spod

I saw this a while back, the discount still works! good luck.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/spon...avings-277017/
Old 10-14-2014, 01:23 PM
JK Newbie

Hmm ok awesome. Then i shouldnt have any problems running 4 55w halogens off 1 switch then. I was hoping that would be the case since spods only have the 6 switches. Thanks a lot guys.

I know i can hookup my arb compressor to the spod but will it run the lockers too or should i just keep them hooked seperatly?

Last edited by Stinkfoot; 10-14-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:44 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Stinkfoot
Hmm ok awesome. Then i shouldnt have any problems running 4 55w halogens off 1 switch then. I was hoping that would be the case since spods only have the 6 switches. Thanks a lot guys.

I know i can hookup my arb compressor to the spod but will it run the lockers too or should i just keep them hooked seperatly?
Yeah you could, that's 16 amps for the lights, that's a hell of a splice or pigtail to make. Make sure the wire going from your splice/pigtail to the switch is 12 awg, it's rated up to 20A
Old 10-14-2014, 01:48 PM
JK Junkie

No problem running 4 off one switch.

The current I in amps (A) is equal to the power P in watts (W), divided by the voltage V in volts (V):

I(A) = P(W) / V(V)

So A = 55/12 = 4.58amps.

4.58x4=18.34 amps. Plenty of room to spare.

Don't have lockers yet so not much help there but I know lots of guys run the lockers off the sPod.

Edit: We were typing at the same time...lol

Last edited by 14Sport; 10-14-2014 at 01:51 PM.

Quick Reply: So ive decided to get an Spod