Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Speaker selection

Old 08-24-2015, 04:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker selection

What started out as a 130 HU swap so I could install a back-up camera has gotten totally out of control. At first I was just going to replace the 130 HU (w/infinity) with a Kenwood DDX372bt and install a back-up camera and call it a day. That probably would have been the smart thing to do. I never was too happy with the stock set up so I've decided to gut the whole thing. Here's where I'm at right now, the Kenwood DDX372bt is ordered and on the way, yesterday I bought a Kenwood xr-900-5 amp so the third leg of this stool is speakers. I've spent most of the weekend trying to figure out what matches up (I really have no idea what I'm doing) and after reading countless reviews of what might work well in my 2012 2r I've penciled-in the Polk MM6501/MM651/MM840DVC for a speaker set up. Protect me from myself here guys, are these speakers a good choice for these kw components or can someone with audio experience recommend a different speaker set up, thanks for any help or input. PS, not looking for a window thumping system or anything like that, just want to hear the radio with the doors and top off on the highway, thanks again.

Last edited by RAMbone; 08-24-2015 at 05:23 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, you are not out of control, you are doing the right thing.

6 1/2" speaker aren't going to thump anything, you will get acceptable midrange from them, but you would need a sub to get any bass.

Have you listened to the speakers you are considering? An hour trip to best buy will tell your ears whether you are making the right choice. I know BB sells Polk.

Quick Reply: Speaker selection