Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

sPod Needed?

Old 10-13-2014, 09:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jersey_Devil
Well I have a 50", 20", 3 blitzpro hawk 6d cubes, and piaa 520's .....no s pod here. I just ran them all with simple accessories relays. sent from my obama monitoring device
Simple accessories relay? Mind telling me a bit more about that, I'm not too inclined in the electrical field.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KVJK08
Simple accessories relay? Mind telling me a bit more about that, I'm not too inclined in the electrical field.
Devil is referring to a 12volt automotive grade relay. The way a relay work is you have a set of pins that control the relay, like an on off switch, and the other pins on the relay are controlling the power to the accessory being added. When you flip the switch to turn the, lets say lights on, your actually just activating the relay allowing the power to flow from the fused battery feed, to the light.

I built my own SPOD and fuse/relay block. It cost about $200 or so for the parts for the Fuse/Relay block, however you can do it for less. I tend to buy the higher end stuff and go a little over the top on these types of projects... Its my OCD... lol. I custom made the SPOD switch part myself. I fiberglassed that myself.

If you want to try your hand at something new and give it a whirl I can give you a hand and guide you through it.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:56 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll admit at the amount of accessories I have I really should be running an spod. With wheeling and just having a bad winter last year I had to replace all my relays, they have no protection from the elements. The wiring job above looks GREAT! I've been thinking of making my own but just haven't found the time right now.

sent from my obama monitoring device
Old 10-15-2014, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by darkknight1999
Devil is referring to a 12volt automotive grade relay. The way a relay work is you have a set of pins that control the relay, like an on off switch, and the other pins on the relay are controlling the power to the accessory being added. When you flip the switch to turn the, lets say lights on, your actually just activating the relay allowing the power to flow from the fused battery feed, to the light. I built my own SPOD and fuse/relay block. It cost about $200 or so for the parts for the Fuse/Relay block, however you can do it for less. I tend to buy the higher end stuff and go a little over the top on these types of projects... Its my OCD... lol. I custom made the SPOD switch part myself. I fiberglassed that myself. If you want to try your hand at something new and give it a whirl I can give you a hand and guide you through it.

Wow! Now that looks amazing. I've decided to make my own now with help from my friend. Do you mind telling me what you used and how you did it? It would be GREAT help! The switch panel with labeled rocker switches on top was definitely something I wanted as well! Haha
Old 10-15-2014, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll admit at the amount of accessories I have I really should be running an spod. With wheeling and just having a bad winter last year I had to replace all my relays, they have no protection from the elements. The wiring job above looks GREAT! I've been thinking of making my own but just haven't found the time right now. sent from my obama monitoring device
What accessories do you have on for your jeep?
Old 10-16-2014, 04:40 AM
JK Freak

Wow! Now that looks amazing. I've decided to make my own now with help from my friend. Do you mind telling me what you used and how you did it? It would be GREAT help! The switch panel with labeled rocker switches on top was definitely something I wanted as well! Haha
I'll be building another setup this weekend for my wife's new Willy's. I'll document it so you can copy it. I already have the 'How-To" instructions on how to build the SPOD switch panel. The link to that is in my sig.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What accessories do you have on for your jeep?
5 sets of lights all on separate switches, winch, air compressor, and cb. I want to mount 3 more light bars directly to the hard top sometime soon

sent from my obama monitoring device
Old 10-16-2014, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

5 sets of lights all on separate switches, winch, air compressor, and cb. I want to mount 3 more light bars directly to the hard top sometime soon sent from my obama monitoring device
Oh wow, you're loaded! Haha.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by darkknight1999
I'll be building another setup this weekend for my wife's new Willy's. I'll document it so you can copy it. I already have the 'How-To" instructions on how to build the SPOD switch panel. The link to that is in my sig.
Sounds good! Can't wait to check it out.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:31 AM
JK Freak

Sounds good! Can't wait to check it out.
Well I finally managed to get the wiring done on the wife's Willy's. I probably won't get to writing the "how-to" until next week, so here's a few pictures from under the hood. I still have to finish the interior fiberglass work so a few of the wires are coiled under the hood.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1380022021.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	580800   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2452282505.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	580802   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2635280753.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	43.3 KB