Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

sPod Needed?

Old 10-21-2014, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darkknight1999
Well I finally managed to get the wiring done on the wife's Willy's. I probably won't get to writing the "how-to" until next week, so here's a few pictures from under the hood. I still have to finish the interior fiberglass work so a few of the wires are coiled under the hood.
Wow! Looks clean. What switch panel do you have? I want my panel above the rearview mirror.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KVJK08
Wow! Looks clean. What switch panel do you have? I want my panel above the rearview mirror.
I custom build my own.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-346660526.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	580810   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1402575886.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	580811  
Old 10-21-2014, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I custom build my own.
Was it difficult ?
Old 10-21-2014, 06:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd like to add some accessory lighting as well-- LED's on the pillars and a flood for the mast on the rear tire carrier for rear scene lighting.

The way I see an sPOD is --It's a boxed solution for people who don't want to get into some basic electrical engineering, and that's alright. It's an expensive solution--you're paying a price for convenience, but it should work for most people's needs because they usually just want a few accessory lights and some custom switches, and that's it.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:00 AM
JK Freak

Was it difficult ?
Well that would depend on your skill level... for me, no it's super easy but I've been building these types of things for s long time. For a novice, I'd say it's 4 out of 5. It's tricky if you've never done any fiberglass work.
Having said that it is a learnable skill for sure. In my sig I have a link to a "How-To" if you want to take a look at that.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

Well I finally managed to get the wiring done on the wife's Willy's. I probably won't get to writing the "how-to" until next week, so here's a few pictures from under the hood. I still have to finish the interior fiberglass work so a few of the wires are coiled under the hood.
Awesome work!
Old 10-21-2014, 07:36 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by jk_sea
... The way I see an sPOD is --It's a boxed solution for people who don't want to get into some basic electrical engineering, and that's alright. ...
The sPOD is a fuse and relay panel with an in-cab control and a circuit for auto-shutdown in the event of battery low voltage (which can be disabled, if desired). Whoever does the installing still has to decide on wire and routing for the accessories that will be attached to it. That means taking into consideration current draw, wire size, length, voltage drop, environmental characteristics (will the wiring be near the catalytic converter?), etc. It isn't quite a turn-key solution; some engineering is still left. On top of that, if you want to make the sPOD do things it wasn't designed for, such as wire up panel lighting to the dimmer control, repurpose the optional dual-light switch as a master off-road switch (to disable all sPOD functions except when off-road), or make the sPOD turn something off rather than on (such as an engine fan), then you'll also have to be smart enough to figure out how the sPOD works, and how you can modify it to do what you want.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jk_sea
I'd like to add some accessory lighting as well-- LED's on the pillars and a flood for the mast on the rear tire carrier for rear scene lighting.

The way I see an sPOD is --It's a boxed solution for people who don't want to get into some basic electrical engineering, and that's alright. It's an expensive solution--you're paying a price for convenience, but it should work for most people's needs because they usually just want a few accessory lights and some custom switches, and that's it.
I am also planning on adding lights in the rear! I've been contemplating at the rigid taillight mounts for duallys. I like the tire carrier light mount as well, which are you looking into?
Old 10-21-2014, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well that would depend on your skill level... for me, no it's super easy but I've been building these types of things for s long time. For a novice, I'd say it's 4 out of 5. It's tricky if you've never done any fiberglass work.
Having said that it is a learnable skill for sure. In my sig I have a link to a "How-To" if you want to take a look at that.
No skill in building at all. ): But I would love to try. I'll check it out. Do you have a list of what you used to make the whole fuse box, replay, and everything?
Old 10-21-2014, 08:38 AM
JK Freak

No skill in building at all. ): But I would love to try. I'll check it out. Do you have a list of what you used to make the whole fuse box, replay, and everything?
I do. I can start the thread and list all the parts then add the build process after. I might be able to get that done tonight.

Quick Reply: sPod Needed?