Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

State your fav ios or android GPS app for off highway use.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default State your fav ios or android GPS app for off highway use.

My only request is that it has offline map capability aka it will work even if your cell doesn't have a connection to download map data.

I currently use an app for iphone called GPS kit. I like it but am always looking to see what everyone else uses. Here's a link if you use iphone.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gps-...287909017?mt=8
Old 04-15-2014, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

There are aps that let you download maps online ahead of a trip. But if you didn't do that there is no ap that will do that when you don't have internet service. The GPS will work if you have a tablet with GPS - but, when you are off the grid you're off the grid.

Most of the better tablets have GPS chips and iPads with phone service have them - or you can use a Bluetooth GPS with an ipad wifi only.

We use Gaia with Bad Elf GPS with our wifi only ipad. Back Country Navigator is very popular for android.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-15-2014, 09:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like topography when I hike and mountain bike to see elevation changes: ScenicMap gives me that info. It's nice to have both overhead and virtual perspectives for elevations, making it better to judge how steep things get.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-69868172.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	546139  

Last edited by BlackRockBurner; 04-16-2014 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:35 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Backcountry Navigator Pro. As mentioned, you do need to download the maps before the trip for the area you'll be visiting. But, you should probably do that anyway since once you do you can add waypoints that will help use the map during the actual trip. BCN also records the trip, and allows for export of the trip to share. The exported product is suitable for use in many other types of GPS devices for others who'd like to follow the trail later. It is also viewable in Google Earth, making it fun to share with those who might not ever leave their couches, LOL. Great product, and scanning and panning are way faster than topo maps on the typical dedicated GPS device when run on a proper tablet (I use a 2012 Nexus 7) ...

Typical map from the free database (CalTopo) ...

Annotated map. I've added towns, significant road intersections, campsites and a few geographical features. Waypoint labels display as the map image is scaled down ...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nexus 7, Jan 13, 0587. Backcountry Pro.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	546138  

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 04-16-2014 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Fixed upside-down image.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

On my android tablet I use BCN pro, torque, and a couple of other ones like oruxmaps. BCN is the best for backcountry nav. I also have an asus windows 8 tablet and have an app called MAPS PRO. I can actually download google earth imagery and use that. I have yet to try the tablet in the jeep to see how good the GPS is in it. My acer a210 works great. Also for my Onroad trips I have another GPS system I use, I cannot rememeber the name now but its very accurate and you can plot your trips before hand.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default well

you said 'off highway' which may include water?

I use "Dashboard" on my friend's boats, he said we were doing 60... i said no. (GPS showed 45).

it's for iOS.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:01 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have nav in the Rubi but for when I'm in the woods I keep physical paper maps in my rig. Google and apple maps suck and factory nav needs to be updated constantly but a 3 dollar paper map is never wrong,and the batteries never die in it either! Lol

Sent from my obama monitoring device
Old 04-20-2014, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I may have to get one of these apps, do any of them work without service? Like only gps based with preloaded maps?
Old 04-20-2014, 06:38 AM
JK Super Freak

I use Maverick for Android on a Samsung Tab 2.

Quick Reply: State your fav ios or android GPS app for off highway use.