Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Stereo works but no sound??? Please help

Old 09-07-2010, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo works but no sound??? Please help

This is my first post! And i am a first time jeep owner, I bought my jk last week and the stereo works an I can see everything is working fine but I have NO sound. I looked to see if anything was disconnected but I couldnt tell. Hopefully someone can lean my in the right direction on fixing it myself. THANKS!!
Old 09-07-2010, 03:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by janix87
This is my first post! And i am a first time jeep owner, I bought my jk last week and the stereo works an I can see everything is working fine but I have NO sound. I looked to see if anything was disconnected but I couldnt tell. Hopefully someone can lean my in the right direction on fixing it myself. THANKS!!
what stereo is it?
Old 09-07-2010, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

It's the stock stereo in the 2007 jeep wrangler 4 door.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:05 PM
JK Freak

Base stereo or Infinity?
Old 09-07-2010, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Alec
Base stereo or Infinity?
It is the Base stereo.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:40 PM
JK Jedi

try pulling the white fuse in the fuse box for a minute or two, or disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it. What does it do when you push in the volume knob? Does it show radio stations? It is the single disk right?
Old 09-07-2010, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
try pulling the white fuse in the fuse box for a minute or two, or disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it. What does it do when you push in the volume knob? Does it show radio stations? It is the single disk right?
It shows the radio stations and volume, I can go to my station I can read what cd is in there and it shows that it is playing just no sound at all. Yes it is the single disk. I will go try right now the white fuse see if that works.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if it was an infinity and someone yanked out the amp and such before they sold the jeep....
-Christopher
Old 09-07-2010, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
I wonder if it was an infinity and someone yanked out the amp and such before they sold the jeep....
-Christopher
How would I be able to tell? On my driver side under the panel and left speaker I found a little knob that says sub level min-max.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Freak

Sounds like someone had an aftermarket system in there and sold it with the stock system. So in the week you've had it, it's never worked?

You probably have to pull it and check the wiring, then go from there. If it's never worked for you, my guess is that the harness is plugged in, but something funny was done to the speaker wires.

Stupid question: are there speakers there? Can you see them through the grilles?

To pull the head unit to check the wiring is easy: pop the lower dash (below A/C) and the upper dash (top) You'll then see 2 bolts each top and bottom. With the 4 gone, then I believe you can pull the main dash panel away for access to the head unit bolts. This is from memory, so I apologize if I'm wrong. You don't need to disconnect the A/C or other cables or wires, just pull the whole panel away to get a bit of room to work.

Lesson learned: check EVERYTHING when buying a used vehicle!

Quick Reply: Stereo works but no sound??? Please help