Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Stuffing sound bar with polyfill- Do you have to remove the speakers?

Old 05-06-2012, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuffing sound bar with polyfill- Do you have to remove the speakers?

I just got my new HU and Polk speakers installed all around Friday. I'm very very happy with the sound, but I'm noticing a bit of rattling in the sound bar. I bought some poly fill to put in the cavity next to the dome light. Can I just remove the dome light to put the poly fill in? I would really like to avoid taking the speakers out if I can. Does the dome light just pry out?

Thanks,
Old 05-06-2012, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Alright, tried removing the dome light. I'm kind of stumped on how I should get it out. Should I just pry it? I'm afraid it's going to break.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why not remove the speakers? they are really easy with phillips screws. they can just hang while you fill the bar.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
why not remove the speakers? they are really easy with phillips screws. they can just hang while you fill the bar.
Are the speakers pretty screw-up proof? I'd hate to mess them up taking them out. It's just a bracket with three screws, right?
Old 05-06-2012, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just remove the speakers, let them hang freely while you fill. Shouldn't take any more than 20 minutes.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shakeman0
Are the speakers pretty screw-up proof? I'd hate to mess them up taking them out. It's just a bracket with three screws, right?
Correct.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Alright, I'll admit I was a bit skeptic of how much of a difference the poly fill would make. It's really amazing. The rattling is a thousand times better than it was before. I would definitely recommend doing it to anyone who hasn't yet.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

In the 2007 the fronts take a little time to remove....the soundbar are very easy.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shakeman0
Alright, I'll admit I was a bit skeptic of how much of a difference the poly fill would make. It's really amazing. The rattling is a thousand times better than it was before. I would definitely recommend doing it to anyone who hasn't yet.

Congrats.......this counts as a DIY mod ..........I'm off now to go fill my Soundbar. Thanks
Old 05-08-2012, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Default Stuffing the Soundbar

OK, I'm much more an audiophile than a Jeepphile. I think I have a good ear when judging audio quality and I actually spend time and money enyoying indoor high-end sound systems.

I have the stock Jeep X sound system (No Infinity) with the stock 6 Speaker set (No subwoofer). I'm not a big fan of car audio as in my opinion it's nothing comparable to high end indoor sound systems, that's why I've never really bothered myself with upgrading my Jeep's sound.

I read this soundbar stuffing thing somewhere else and gave it a try. I bought some thing called "Magi-Fill" at my local old-ladies-materials-store, which is basically a synthetic wool used for stuffing pillows that can be compressed a lot and automatically reexpands to it's original form. I used 4 bags of 200g $2.5 (dólares) each.

I tested the audio with the same CD before and after the soundbar stuffing and I must say the difference is NOTORIOUS! Bass tones are much more clear and precise, most of the woom-boom made by the resonance of the soundbar is gone, the ratling of the soundbar against the rollbar is also gone, middle tones sound better articulated and general volume is a bit lower because the soundbar's resonance is gone as well as bass distortion. Now, since the loud distortion made by the soundbar is gone I can detect some distrotion in the middle tones coming from the front speakers, maybe they are asking to get their boxes stuffed.
In overall I must say I'm really pleased with this upgrade since it was extremely cheap and didn't take me much time (50mins).

Instructions:
1) Buy your stuffing material
2) Unscrew and remove your soundbar's speakers.
3) Stuff the soundbar as tight as possible, make use of your girlfriend's skinny arm to reach as far as possible into the soundbar.
4) DO NOT take off the dome light, stuffing the soundbar from here is almost impossible because the gaps are very tight. You might end braking the dome light brackets as I did.
5) Rescrew your speakers into position.
6) Enjoy!

Damn it, I think I'm gonna start getting into car audio.

Quick Reply: Stuffing sound bar with polyfill- Do you have to remove the speakers?