Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Stuffing sound bar with polyfill- Do you have to remove the speakers?

Old 05-08-2012, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried or thought about spray foaming the sound bar and then adding poly-fill?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeVoTee
Has anyone tried or thought about spray foaming the sound bar and then adding poly-fill?
I'm not sure thats a good idea being that the speakers need a certain amount of air space being that they are in a "sealed" enclosure this might mess up the space given that fits the speaker specs..
Old 05-08-2012, 09:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DeVoTee

I used expanding flexible foam in mine, that did enough I haven't thought about adding any poly fill. Sounds better than before, and no more rattle. I would do it again.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is the poly-fill as effective on a 4 door? And for 4 doors, just filling the sound bar is enough to make a difference?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sound bars are the same so yes you will hear a difference, but no matter what the mopar speakers still suck.. My new speakers are on the way! I hate the look of aftermarket speaker grilles, so I got speakers that will still use the factory grilles
Old 05-09-2012, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Didn't notice anything about the sound bar with stock speakers. Guess I thought it was the crappy stock speakers. New speakers are on the way and I'll definitely get this done before I put them in. Thanks for the info!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rickyj
I used expanding flexible foam in mine, that did enough I haven't thought about adding any poly fill. Sounds better than before, and no more rattle. I would do it again.
That's what I was thinking..... Just enough expanding foam to solidify the sound bar and use the poly to help dampen.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

Cool How to video for Polyfil in a JK Soundbar

Originally Posted by shakeman0
I just got my new HU and Polk speakers installed all around Friday. I'm very very happy with the sound, but I'm noticing a bit of rattling in the sound bar. I bought some poly fill to put in the cavity next to the dome light. Can I just remove the dome light to put the poly fill in? I would really like to avoid taking the speakers out if I can. Does the dome light just pry out?

Thanks,
Hey, I made a how to video showing how to fill the sound bar with polyfil. How to use Polyfil to enhance the sound of your Soundbar | How to Wrangler
Old 07-13-2014, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by howtowranglerguy
Hey, I made a how to video showing how to fill the sound bar with polyfil. How to use Polyfil to enhance the sound of your Soundbar | How to Wrangler
Thanks great video. I have some rattling going on too. headed to the craft store for fill...
Old 07-13-2014, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I did mine, I had to remove some... found that too much was almost muffling the sound it seemed. Worked great since.

Sent while my wife wasn't looking...

Quick Reply: Stuffing sound bar with polyfill- Do you have to remove the speakers?